question

dd33 avatar image
dd33 asked

Can „SUN INVERTER“ (12/250) provide solar power („without battery“) to „AC loads“ directly?

Hallo,

I have read the user manual of SUN INVERTER here:

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/SUN_Inverter/Inverter_PH_Smart__VE_Direct_and_SUN-en.pdf

In the user manual – I have found this paragraph:

2.2. Solar charge controller: The SUN inverter is equipped with a PWM solar regulator. Solar panels can be directly connected to the SUN inverter. Solar power will be used to charge the batteries or help to provide energy to the inverter AC load.

I would like to ask - whether I understood it "correctly"? Can the SUN INVERTER convert the solar power („DC“) from solar panels "directly" into (230V) alternating current („Without“ battery connected)? In this example - the sunlight would have to be available “intensively” (and for a longer period of time) – of course.

Thanks.

solar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
mvas avatar image
mvas answered ·

Solar power will be used to charge the batteries or help to provide energy to the inverter AC load.

... Or help to provide energy to the inverter AC Load - like when the Solar Panels are generating more watts than the battery charger currently needs.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kai-fuchs avatar image
kai-fuchs answered ·

I believe your emergency scenario should be theoretically possible. Depends the settings you make, in the unit. Eg. inverting cut off voltage (under voltage protection of battery). I think this use case in not recommended and can probably damage your device. There are many problems connected to a no battery scenario. Toggling in and out of overloads, under voltage protection, clouds/shade would cause your system to shut down. Etc.

In a System with separated Mppt and Inverter this is possible (but still not recommended). I know it, cause I recently accidentally disconnected my battery from the system. And it was still working.

2 |3000

dd33 avatar image
dd33 answered ·

Hello, thanks for the information. If I understood that "correctly" now - then my "matter" would be possible "without a battery", because the „SUN INVERTER 12/250“ can convert „a part“ of DC-current (And in an emergency - I assume - also the maximum generated current) from solar panels - to AC-current „directly“. Should my battery "unexpected" (So in case of emergency) be broken - and should I ("purely theoretically" - exactly at this "time") need alternating current (of course by "ideal weather conditions" - and should the required alternating current - not exceed the amount of electricity generated by solar panels) – then I could for example operate an AC device – even “without” a battery („As long as the solar radiation is sufficiently strong”). Unfortunately, I have no technical education - and therefore I decided - to ask here.That's exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you.

2 |3000

dd33 avatar image
dd33 answered ·

Hello,

thank you very much for the information. I am of course pleased to learn - that it was possible for you (Real "by mistake" - as you mention yourself) - with a "separate" MPPT solar charge controller and inverter - to pass AC power to an AC device (Also "without battery") "for a short time". Of course, I agree with you - that this "scenario" - is associated with various "dangers" - or that an AC device ("AC-load") could be damaged as a result. I was rather thinking in the emergency scenario - if I could use an AC device (In "real" emergency) at least a few minutes (With the SUN INVERTER) - without a battery connected to SUN-INVERTER. The AC unit should (I suppose) probably not "contain" too "much" (or any) electronics - because then the danger (for damage) could be even "higher". One should (I suppose) have to install an undervoltage protection (Or other "protective devices" , or "protective measures - such as overvoltage protection, etc.....)switch between the AC unit and SUN-INVERTER - to keep the dangers of undervoltage (Or overvoltage, etc....) - somewhat lower. An AC-device could (I suppose) but (Even if I would use undervoltage or overvoltage protection switch) break - if too much electronics in the AC-device - would be installed. A few years ago, electricians ("Without advance notice") had turned off and turned on the power (in the whole building - where I live) - for repair work - several times. And on that day, all of a sudden, my AC refrigerator and AC SAT receiver - stopped working. And my neighbors suddenly - just like me - had "broken" AC-devices. Probably it came to "undervoltage" or "overvoltage" at that time - what some AC devices did not "tolerate".

And now I write something about the "clouds" of the sky: I think just like you - that against "clouds" (And bad weather) – nobody can something „do“ - "without a battery". "SUN-INVERTER 12/250" can provide max 200 watts (At 25°C) according to "user manual" (Or short term peak power would be 400 watts). That means (I assume) that one could connect rather "weaker" AC devices (in which - in the best case - no electronics should be installed) - to "SUN-INVERTER 12/250" - "directly" (Thus without battery). And one should (I suppose) also use an inrush current limiter or starting current limiter (Especially then - if the inrush current or starting current of the AC device would be "too high"). For the "emergency" I have a "POWERSTATION" (With LiFePo4 battery and built-in inverter) - which (in case of emergency) "hopefully" would be sufficiently charged - so that I (in case of emergency) immediately have AC power - available. With the help of the (charged) Powerstation, there would be no problems with the "undervoltage" (or overvoltage, bed weather - etc.....) - which is theoretically to be expected every time - if e.g. the sun is "covered" (completely or partially) by passing clouds and I would use "SUN INVERTER 12/250" - without battery.

I wanted to ask - if you maybe know - if Victron offers the same model (So "SUN INVERTER" - 12 VOLT) with higher power? So it should be built in one device - the solar charge controller and inverter.The "stronger" models should perform 500 WATTS or 1000 WATTS - so that you can use (as I said - really only in an emergency - and only "short term") - "suitable" AC devices ("without battery") - which however need "more" power. Thanks.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic