question

dayandnight avatar image
dayandnight asked

Victron Megafuse

Hello Victron! Hello to All!

Due to various recently published articles,

I am unsure whether the Victron Mega-Fuses are suitable for lithium batteries. First I tried to find more precise specifications from Victron. There is only this data sheet for that.

But it is also difficult to find information and specifications on NH fuses when used with DC. After studying various data sheets, I assume that one should consider "switching capacity current" or "rated conditional short-circuit current" as a "limit criterion".

• Siemens specifies specifies a "switching capacity current" of 25 kA for DC voltages.
  • ETI - I could only find specs for AC voltage
  • ABB – has values for "breaking capacity" of 70 and 80 kA for DC voltage

All in all, there seems to be little reliable evidence for any type of fuse in DC applications at low-DC-voltage. That's why I think that screwed contact surfaces like the Victron Megafuse with a defined torque could definitely have advantages. But unfortunately I could not find any information with which torque the Megafuse should be screwed into the associated Victron fuse holder.

I am interested in very detailed and precise information on any type of fuse that should be considered when using lithium-ion batteries, especially from Victron.

Servus - DayAndNight

megafuse
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@DayAndNight

Some knowlege of electrical engineering is needed. Alot of what you are asking is known already to people with qualifications.

With one fuse or a main fuse for a big bank, arc quenching become important. So the bigger fault rating is needed. NH fuses are more favourable.

For individual small battery connections to a buss bar through mega fuses /lynx so each battery is fused, smaller fault rating is fine.

Torque specs are usually bolt size and material specific. Mega fuse is not a victron specific product so their specs can be found quite easily on the internet. Mega fuse holder 8-10 is usually more than enough 12NM is max.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic