question

trent23 avatar image
trent23 asked

Battery Balancer parallel configuration for a 24 V system

I have a battery balancer question. I have 2 batteries in series in 3 parallel banks of 12 for a 24 V configuration. The batteries are 300 Ah, larger than Victron suggests for the battery balancer. The specification sheet says "several balancers can be paralleled." "Parallel" means different things to me, I am not clear on a three balancer/six battery 24 V configuration.

If I used three balancers (one for each bank of 12 V batteries), should they be connected in the attached configuration?

Or should the commons still be combined and the three balancers connected to the same common?

Thanks!1685274923396.png

Battery Balancer
1685274923396.png (74.3 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
gyzko avatar image
gyzko answered ·

Hi Trend23,

I am using the same kind configuration. In my case, I have a 2s2p setup instead of 2s3p setup like yours. I have 2 battery balancers (BB): one for each 24v serie.

Be sure you have the "24V" of each BB directly connected to the positive post of the top battery of the monitored series. Same for "0V". In your current diagram, you connected the "24 V" of all BB to the same top battery and you connected the "0V" of all BBs to the same bottom battery. In high current application, you can have small voltage drop in cables. So, it is preferable to connect the 24V and the 0V of each BB as close as possible to its associated series.

There are 2 approaches wiring approach when dealing with multiple 24V series in parallel.

A) Without cross-connect midpoint (the blue wire in your diagram)
B) With cross-connect midpoint

For option A, you need to have one battery balancer per series. This what you have.

For option B, you might need just a single battery balancer. Howerver, you MUST to have a SmartShunt with midpoint voltage tracking in your setup. This is required per Victron doc.

Personally, for battery bank monitoring purpose, I prefer to NOT connect the middle. It costs extra BBs. However, you can easily have access of the volatge of each battery with a multi-meter. In my opinion, a cross-connected midpoint just put dust under the carpet. Some people might disagree.

Regards,

-François

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

trent23 avatar image
trent23 answered ·

Thanks, I will use Option A. Good point on moving to the positives of each bank. Option A also allows me to individually check the voltage of each battery where my balancers are located. This is much more convenient for me than where my batteries are located.

1 comment
2 |3000

mvas avatar image mvas commented ·

Connecting Battery Balancers in parallel, means exactly that. It has nothing to do with your Option A or you Option B scenarios.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic