question

michael-protogerakis avatar image
michael-protogerakis asked

Where to configure which phase the Multiplus2 is on in an ESS

Configured a 1phase-ESS. Seems to be working fine so far.

But where do I configure which phase the Multiplus2 is on? It is actually on L3 but assuming to be on L1 in the GX dashboard.

Multiplus-IIESS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

A single MultiPlus always have to be on L1*.

*L1 of the grid meter, you could just switch L1 and L3 at the output of the grid meter.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

michael-protogerakis avatar image michael-protogerakis commented ·

Not giving the user the chance to configure it doesn't make any sense to me. Anyways, it is good to know how I can fix my issue.

Just switching L1 and L3 would cause a lot of trouble and broken motors in my system as it would mean changing the rotating field direction. So in addition I need then to also swap new L2 and new L3. Anyway, many thanks for your help.

0 Likes 0 ·
solar-noob avatar image
solar-noob answered ·

Matthias Lange's answer is definitely wrong.

I also have a Multiplus with a Raspberry and Venus on it, and I once found a place where I could tell the Multiplus on which phase it is connected (mine is connected to L2).

Unfortunately I can't find that place again.

Any help would be appreciated.

1 comment
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Energy_Storage_System/en/installation.html

"When installing a single-phase ESS in a system with a three-phase connection to the utility grid, make sure you install the ESS on phase one, L1."

For a single phase PV-inverter you can set the location/phase.

1 Like 1 ·
solar-noob avatar image
solar-noob answered ·

That's strange.

During the initial installation, there was a menu item (either in the remote console or in VictronConnect, I don't remember) where I could set the phase to which the Mp II is connected to.
I changed it for test purposes, but than took it back because at that time I didn't understand what exactly was meant.

I don't think I dreamed it :-)

Somehow it is an unworldly and, in my opinion, unnecessary requirement that the MpII must always be connected to L1. Our house network simply doesn't allow that. The socket to which the Mp II is connected is on L2, as are most of the permanent consumers. I cannot change this.

Is there any other way to correct the display (and also the calculation of the data)?

Your last sentence: "For a single phase PV-inverter you can set the location/phase"

Seems to suggest that ist IS possible to set the location. What does that mean? Where can I set it?

2 |3000

solar-noob avatar image
solar-noob answered ·

To close this case: I just found out how I could set the phase where the Victron is connected to when the Victron have no means to set that.

It's not in the Victron but in the Shelly configuration where you can set the phase. Better said, the script that integrates the Shelly into the Venus OS.
There is a file /data/dbus-shelly-3em-smartmeter/config.ini where the "real" phase of the Victron can be set.

Well, that's the curse of bad memory. Discover everything twice. :-(
Thanks for the help, anyway.

2 |3000