question

Russell Brown avatar image
Russell Brown asked

Orion DC-DC can I connect H terminal to House Battery + Positive ?

On my Orion DC-DC isolated I want to turn the unit ON by applying + to the H terminal, easy enough. My question however is can this be + to the H terminal, be from the vans house battery NOT the vehicles battery which as per the manual says it should be from the "Input" + = vans battery.

Reason: I have a smart switch I want to use to turn DC-DC charging ON, the switch feeds + from the house battery when its ON.

orion-tr smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

@Russell Brown victron make a cable to drive the Isolated Orion charge enable port from a second isolated battery.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Russell Brown avatar image Russell Brown commented ·
Perfect, exactly what I need, thanks
0 Likes 0 ·
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

No, as there is no common ground reference for the signal in an isolated setup.

If you want to do that, and maintain isolation, then you need to use an opto isolator, or small relay.

5 comments
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

@Russell Brown

Also if house is dead/BMS cuts it out, the Orion will not turn on.
0 Likes 0 ·
Russell Brown avatar image Russell Brown commented ·

Yup I can do it with a relay so that the + positive is from the vans battery. I might try the "Orion Tr DC-DC Charger Isolated remote cable" that @klim8skeptic suggested. Instructions are as clear as mud, but will try that cable.

I also use an ignition sense wire to the L terminal so that both conditions have to be met:

1) Ignition wire sense active
2) The + wire to the H terminal active

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ Russell Brown commented ·
That cable uses both L and H. Might cause problems with your dual condition requirements. Maybe @klim8skeptic has a better idea.
0 Likes 0 ·
Russell Brown avatar image Russell Brown kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
I took a look at the instructions for the cable, not very clear at all, they don't label what each input is doing.
0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ Russell Brown commented ·

@Russell Brown it looks like when the yellow wire is connected to power, and the black wire is grounded, it bridges the H & L pins of the Orion. Remove power (or ground?) the output goes open.

ATC description from the Small BMS manual.

Charge disconnect output

0 Likes 0 ·