question

greglinjett avatar image
greglinjett asked

Isolated or non-isolated Orion

I am looking at setting up a Lilead 200ah LIFEPO4 in my boat. I will keep the Lead starter battery and the orginal alternator, and I am looking at using a Orion TR Smart DC/DC instaled between the lead and the LIFEPO4 to limit the current draw to the LIFEPO4 to prevent burning up my alternator and also to give the right charging to the LIFEPO4. Now my key question is whether i should use a Isolated or non-isolated Orion..... Thanks a million, Greg

orion-tr smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @GregLinjett

On a boat I would always choose *Isolated*. You may, whether now or in the future, decide to keep your battery grounds separate for electrolysis reasons.

An Isolated unit can be made Non-Isolated, but not vice versa.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

greglinjett avatar image greglinjett commented ·
Hi John, really good point! If i have an isolated Li system then i can run a direct charger from 230V land supply when i need to and not worry about electrolisis eating up the anodes on my propeler and drive unit!

0 Likes 0 ·