question

imv avatar image
imv asked

VRM installation monitoring problems

Anybody else experiencing problems with installations that they are monitoring on the VRM. We appear to have lost communication with a number of installations approx 3 days ago which may have coincided with the v2.30 update. On some of the installations that we can still see there appears to be some weird things happening with the LEDs on the front of the Quattro/Multi front page screen, other installations appear to be working OK. If we check the firmware level through the Device list, some installations are on V2.30 others appear to be on V2.23 so I am assuming that they have lost communication during an update.

remote console
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

just for your info I have just checked 4 of my sites they have all upgraded to 2.30 however the 5th site the VRM is updating but I cant get to the CCGX via remote console but this is in indonesia so it could be a net blocking issue there.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

imv avatar image imv commented ·

Paul B, thanks for checking. These installations are dotted in various locations around the country and we generally have good coverage, the LED issue is a red herring, I think this must be an unrelated issue asI have checked again and this is only happening on 1 unit that has older firmware that cannot be updated to anything newer.

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

It sounds like you are describing this known limitation:

v2.30 with CAN-bus battery and incompatible DVCC setting

DVCC is only compatible with VE.Bus inverter/chargers running firmware above 422. There is a warning about that right next to the DVCC enable/disable setting in the menus.

For systems with a CAN-bus connected battery, such as BYD, Pylontech, Freedomwon and others, a VE.Bus firmware version below 422, and DVCC enabled, the overview will become unstable: data is coming and going every few seconds. Watch this video to see how that looks.

In case your system is affected by this, there are three options:

1. Disable the DVCC feature. Also quick to do, see Settings -> System setup. It must not be enabled.
  2. Revert to v2.23. This is very quick to do. First disable the auto-updates in Settings -> Firmware update -> Online updates. Then switch back to the previous version in Settings -> Firmware update -> Stored backup firmware.
  3. Update the firmware in the Multi or Quattro inverter/charger(s). Note that this requires an installer, and reconfiguration. Details here.

In short, to quickly fix your system, see 1 or 2. But do make sure to also contact your installer and make the update of the inverter/charger. See our Battery Compatibility page with required configurations and minimum firmware versions for all supported CAN-bus connected batteries.

2 |3000

imv avatar image
imv answered ·

I am pretty sure but I will check that all of the installations that we have lost comms with do not have the DVCC enabled, the firmware in the Multi/Quattro may very well be the firmware that it left the factory with, some of them may have been updated to the latest firmware, others may not have been. I do know for sure that some of them are on version 430. Most of these units will have been working and communicating OK until recently. Some of the installations will be using the Lifepo4 battery on the VE bus, we only have one installation using the CAN BUS BMS but we can also no longer communicate with this installation either, the majority of installations will be using the Supercycle battery or normal AGM/GEL. We have lost comms with approx 20 installations and the only common denominator that I can see is the release of the v2.30 update although we still can see some installations that have been updated successfully with the v2.30 update.

We are remotely monitoring these installations for the customer so it is unrealistic to think that we can visit each one of these to do anything manually to them, if this is the case then it become a logistical nightmare.

2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi Chris, I've sent you an email from our support desk.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic