question

myvicrocks avatar image
myvicrocks asked

Grafana Docker

Hi all,

I got the docker containers up and running thanks to the following posts:

Excellent Post on how to install on Raspberry Pi

To get it to work on a 64Bit Image of Raspberry PI 4 I had to use the following image:

image: "victronenergy/venus-docker-server:armhf-latest"

I noticed it still run's Grafana version:

Grafana v6.1.6

I would like to upgrade the Grafana version to latest so I can use the newer features and plugins.

Questions:

1. Has anyone done an in place upgrade of Grafana in the docker image? I have tried using the normal Grafana upgrade methods within the docker image but haven't had success.

The normal processes I have used to try upgrade.

Upgrade Grafana wiki

Would be interesting if anyone has done an inplace upgrade and how you did it.

2. I have had a look at all the docker containers available for "victronenergy/venus-docker-server" here: Docker Images

Wasnt sure which one is the latests to use for Raspberry PI (64bit)

grafanadocker
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

The latest container which I pulled directly off docker hub is 2 months old and has grafana 7.5.1 though this is the amd64 variant which I run within rosetta on a mac.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

myvicrocks avatar image myvicrocks commented ·

It does seem that the amd64 image has the most recent one. What I find weird is I have updated grafana in the docker image by SSH into the container I mean if I do (this is in the container):

$ grafana-cli --version
$ grafana cli version 9.4.7

And if I check the service status, says grafana is running. Have rebooted the container to.

However every time I go to the Grafana front end I get version 6.1.6

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ myvicrocks commented ·
That just looks like the CLI.

Grafana is installed on the grafana container not the server container.

0 Likes 0 ·
myvicrocks avatar image myvicrocks nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

Yes thats clear I terminal into the Grafana container to do the upgrade not the others:

grafanacontainer.jpg

And the version in the interface:

grafanaversion.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hey we’re working on quite a big upgrade of that docker-based solution.

Few more weeks and then we’ll be done I expect.

in this PR you can preview current state

https://github.com/victronenergy/venus-docker-grafana-images/pull/22/commits">https://github.com/victronenergy/venus-docker-grafana-images/pull/22/commits

7 comments
2 |3000

myvicrocks avatar image myvicrocks commented ·

@mvader (Victron Energy) fantastic :) thank you if you need beta testers let me know.

Quick questions:

1. Which grafana and influx versions you going to implement? influx 2.x would allow some significant capabilities in terms of queries that can be done across measurements. At the same time I understand the effort needed to upgrade from 1.7 hence the question. Grafana is currently 9.x and has significant graphing enhancements.

2. Will there be a Raspberry PI 4 (32&64bit) image available? E.g. making the compose file platform independant? Reason I ask running Windows docker is fantastic but I think it's more functional to be able to run it on a headless Raspberry PI that you can install and run headless.

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
Great, thanks. Pretty please make it arm friendly for Apple silicon.
0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
hi both, we'll start with finishing the project as defined now; and who knows some of your requests are in it already: I don't know :).
0 Likes 0 ·
bipedalprimate avatar image bipedalprimate mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Any update to this upgrade?

The github repository seems to have a last action by Martin Man on June 10 2023.

0 Likes 0 ·
albundy0815 avatar image albundy0815 mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

@mvader (Victron Energy) could you please let us know, what's the current status of the project? (incl. the part with InfluxDB 2.x)?

I'm having some issues with the existing project, that I couldn't find data from the MPPT yield (1 day, 2 days...) It's saved in cerbo and available via MQTT but it's not in the database - and I don't know if there is a way to adjust the existing docker images or not.

0 Likes 0 ·
Michał Kata avatar image Michał Kata commented ·

Hi I ve done my first grafana project, it works fine but I can only display consumption, pv production od each phase separately, how to display one measurment for 3 phase system ? The formula NumberOfPhases dosn't work or I 'm doing some mistake

1680769135082.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1680769135082.png (139.8 KiB)
hominidae avatar image hominidae Michał Kata commented ·
..use a transformation, as shown in your other thread
0 Likes 0 ·
Philip avatar image
Philip answered ·

Currently all the system of "Venus Grafana docker server" is based on Influxdb version 1.7. I think it's a 32-bit database with a limit of 4GB of files size (I might be wrong). Thats why retention policy 30 day seems working but I'd prefer a longer 30 years(!) policy.
Am I right that this would require to move to InfluxDB 2 wich is 64-bit and can have a much bigger database ?
Is it possible to have the current Venus-docker server work with InfluxDB version 2.x (another influx database out of the build one into venus-docker) ?

2 |3000