question

mefran2 avatar image
mefran2 asked

Orion TR Smart 12/12 30 isloated Output in app 14.2 but measures 13.27 with multimeter??????

I have a 2017 Promaster with an Orion TR Smart 12/12 - 30 isolated charger. My batteries won't charge above 13.3V. Orion turns on no problem. However, when I look at the Orion app it shows input of 14.5V and output of 14.2V. However, when I measure the output at the terminals on the Orion it measures 13.25V to 13.28V. Orion is set to factory default settings.

I have tried idling the van at 2k rpms for 5 min to see if there was a delay and it had no effect. I can't find anything in the app that is set up incorrectly. Also, I made a 4 hour drive at highway speeds and when I arrived the batteries were ~13.2V

Do I have a bad Orion or is there something else I am missing?

I have checked continuity through the entire system and confirmed a good ground.

When on shore power through the victron blue smart the batteries charge to ~13.55V no problem

Batteries are 2x LiFePo 400Ah

orion-tr smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Doesn't sound right. I assume you measured output voltage while charging. You can try moving from factory default to user defined then tweak the settings.

But if the meter is accurate, then it should read the same voltage as the Orion reports at the terminals. Have you checked with another meter?

What voltage is the meter reading at the battery?

What output current is the Orion reporting?

The Orion is rather under sized for such a large battery bank and will take many hours to charge it.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mefran2 avatar image
mefran2 answered ·

Correct, measured output while charging.
I played with all of the settings in the Orion to see if that would have an impact and no luck.
Will try a second meter however, the meter matches the BMV reading for the batteries and the input on the Orion.

Measurements in the system:

Engine not running:
- Starter battery 13.3V
- Orion Input 13.3V
- Orion Output 0V
- House Batteries 13.3V

With Engine Running:

- Starter battery measured 14.5V
- Orion Input measured 14.5V
- Orion input App 14.5V
- Orion Output measured 13.25~13.3V
- Orion Output App 14.2Vs
- House Batteries Measured 13.3V
- House Batteries BMV 13.3V

The batteries will charge up to 13.3V and then go into absorption. I have played with the settings with no impact to the output. I just don't understand why it works up to 13.3V and then stops and the orion app is measuring 14.2V of output but measured is ~13.3V. My entire set up is Victron aside from the inverter. Could there be a setting in the BMV or another one of the victron components that is causing this. I have reviewed them all and can't find anything that I think would cause this problem.

System Components
-Victron Orion Smart TR 12/12 30 Isolated
-Victron Blue Smart Charger 12/30/1 Output
-Victron Smart BMV 712 (matching shunt)
-Victron Smart Battery Sense X2

2 |3000