question

ahumbert avatar image
ahumbert asked

Input Current for IP67 12/25 Battery Charger

Hi

Looking to buy one of the above battery chargers to charge the batteries 200 amp/hr in my camper trailer using a generator when the sun does not shine.

As my generator is small I need to confirm before purchase that the generator output will be sufficient to correctly operate the charger. I cannot however locate in the published specifications that I have found for the charger the input amps/watts required.

Can you please assist for this charger as well as the IP 67 12/17

charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
mduncan avatar image
mduncan answered ·

I run a 12/15 off a honda eu2000i and it does't seem to draw much. The generator stays in eco mode while pushing the whole 15 amps.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ahumbert avatar image
ahumbert answered ·

Hi

I only have the HondaEU10i which has half the output. I know that the input requirement for a Ctek 25amp is ok but a Projecta 25 amp charger is above the available output. Hence my question as to the requirements for the Victron chargers.

2 |3000

sstmax avatar image
sstmax answered ·

Hi there,

Did you ever find an answer to this, or does anyone else know? I have the same Honda EU10i ( UK 240v version) generator which can sustain a constant 900W load and am looking to buy the best 24v charger that this generator can comfortably drive (to charge 24v LIFEPO4 100AH).

The other "solution" that I have seen is to use a DC bench power supply to feed into the MPPT but I know that's not a supported answer!

I haven't yet built my system but already own this small generator (which would only be used as a backup method of charging). I just want to ensure I have a secondary method of charging using the generator if I have to which isn't too slow/inefficient.

Thanks.

2 comments
2 |3000

wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ commented ·
The input accepts quite a wide input Voltage range and so it would not be possible to specify an input current if the input Voltage is unknown.

So, what you look at is the output capability of the selected charger and go from there.
For example, a Phoenix Smart Charger IP43 12/50 has a maximum output current of 50A into a 12V battery. That's 600W charging power and at 14.8V battery Voltage this is 740W. Then take the losses into account, at 94% efficiency you lose 6% as heat, so it's close to 800W of AC input power at full chat.
This would load a 900W generator up to about 88%, maybe a bit over it's fuel efficiency sweet spot. However, you can of course adjust the output current a little bit using the VictronConnect app and reduce the charging current so that the generator runs at 80% load or whatever load it is most fuel efficient.

0 Likes 0 ·
sstmax avatar image sstmax wkirby ♦♦ commented ·
Thanks for that. A very helpful explanation.

Also, it's great to know that I can reduce the charging current with the app, thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic