question

carsten2 avatar image
carsten2 asked

Control additional AC charger to charge AC-coupled PV Multiplus II, ESS, Venus

I use a Multiplus II in an existing AC coupled PV System. The MP can only charge 1700W at most, so I want to attach an additional 3000W charger, which can be controlled by Modbus/Canbus. What kind of driver do I have to add to venus so that ESS / MP is controlling the this external charger automatically, i.e. managing the charging power, to avoid over charging and over current charging in combination with the MP charger?

What does the MP do when there are other Victron Charger like AC-charger or MPPT-chargers? Does it control the charging power of these external chargers together with its own charger?

ESS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
bathnm avatar image
bathnm answered ·

@carsten2 As far as I am aware there is no such capability. It might be possible to install one or more Phoenix Smart IP43 chargers (VE.Direct connected to Venus) or Skylla IP65 (CAN connected to VenusOS).

They may receive DVCC current, but looking at the main ESS control daemon systemcalc, it will not actively control these chargers yet.

While likely more expensive, maybe installing a second or third multi-plus and configuring them to run in parallel will deliver what you need.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

carsten2 avatar image
carsten2 answered ·

How is the AC charge current of the second Multiplus controlled? This multiplus should only be controlled as a charger from the venus controlling the main Multiplus. Does the Venus distribute charing according to the BMS battery infos to the two Multiplus?

2 |3000