question

Todd Wackford avatar image
Todd Wackford asked

Given this setup, what are correct settings for my RV system?

I have an RV with Solar, LiPo Batteries and a Victron Multiplus all connected to Venus GX running on an Raspberry Pi. I've read the available Victron doc's and searched the forums. With so many answers/variations, I'm still a bit confused. Hopefully someone that can help provide clarity with regards to my specific setup. Given my system, use cases, and desired operations, what should be the settings in each of the components? And what if any assistants to I need to add in VE.Configure?

RV System:

• Victron Multiplus 12|3000|12-50 connected to one 50 amp leg of AC input of RV
  • Victron SmartSolar Controller 100|50 (two)
  • Venus GX running on Raspberry Pi
  • 2-800 watt solar arrays (1600w total)
  • 50 Amp service in RV (split phase) via Shore Power Connection
  • 3500 watt generator (connected to RV Shore Power Connection, no ATS)

Use cases and desired operations:

• Boondocking (off-grid):
    • Always collect "all" available solar power when power is needed.
    • Invert battery power to AC when needed.
    • If Generator is running:
      • Solar still provides "all" available power.
      • Generator assists solar to charge batteries and provide power to inverter.
      • Inverter provides boost power from batteries if load above set value.
  • Staying at RV Park with 50 Amp 120VAC Service:
    • Always collect "all" available solar power when power is needed.
    • Use RV Park AC to assist solar to charge batteries and provide power to inverter.
    • Inverter provides boost power from batteries if load above set value
    • Do not feed excess solar to RV Park.
  • Parked at Home with 30 Amp 120 Service:
    • Always collect "all" available solar power.
    • Use Home AC to assist solar to charge batteries and provide power to inverter.
    • Inverter provides boost power from batteries if load above set value
    • Feed excess solar to home.

System Diagrams:

system design
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
ben avatar image
ben answered ·

Hey Todd,

Nice setup you have there. Bonus points for figuring out Venus on RPi!

You have asked for a total review, and as you probably noticed there are hundreds of settings and parameters you can set across your whole system. This venue is not really set up for that, and there aren’t too many folks who have both the time and expertise to do a top-to-bottom analysis for you, either; I think they call that “consulting.” :)

I do have a few quick comments, though:

1) Your grid power supplies will probably have their own OCPDs. You may not want an additional breaker in circuit.

2) You didn’t tell us what kind of “lipo” batteries you have. (You might not even have what most people take “lipo” to mean, if you have LiFePO4.) Anyway, the real reason it’s important is because the type of battery management you have in place will dictate a lot of settings and choices.

3) The configuration required to meet your final bullet point (feed in excess solar) is not recommended for mobile systems. That’s because you will have a shore cord with a (male) plug at the end, and that plug can be removed from a receptacle, and it can still be live of course in this mode. That’s a dangerous break with convention. (Good news: the amount of power you can generate with 1600W amounts to something like $1 per day on good days, if you use none of it keeping your RV cool or your battery charged, so you’re not giving up much by skipping this requirement.)

Anyway, I’ll send you a PM with another option to get feedback, as well.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

theshenks avatar image
theshenks answered ·

What assistants did you use for this? I am trying to do something very similar

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic