question

deweibel avatar image
deweibel asked

SmartSolar overcurrent behavior

I have 4 60 Watt solar panels connected to an older BlueSolar controller, and I have a new SmartSolar MPPT 75/15 which is unused. I would like to substitute the SmartSolar for the BlueSolar but have a slight concern. The solar panels are mounted flat and I'd generally expect them to generate no more than 70% of their rated output, so with even a deeply discharged battery it seems the charge current would be only 240 Watts * 0.7 / 12.0 volts = 14 Amps. That doesn't leave a lot of headroom but should be acceptable. However, I will have the boat as far south as Trinidad, so I could see sun angles giving a higher yield, though it is rare I have a charging voltage below 13 volts. It would be a rare occurrence, but I could have a available power from the panels and a low enough battery voltage to have an overcurrent situation.

How does the SmartSolar MPPT behave if there is a possible overcurrent situation? Is it safe to use this controller in this situation?

MPPT SmartSolar
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

deweibel avatar image deweibel commented ·
Anyone?
0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

Have a read of the manual.

Look for the note 1a) at the bottom of the specifications.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Jannes Peschel avatar image
Jannes Peschel answered ·

I use my SmartSolar 100/20 for charging a 24V LiFePo4 battery. The source is an 48V Pylontech US3000C connected to the "PV" Input of the SmartSolar. This setup runs without a problem. The MPPT automatically limits the current to, in this case, 20A and stays there all the time until the voltage limit of the battery is reached.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic