question

ralf-victron avatar image
ralf-victron asked

Globallink 520 power consumption

Has anybody checked the power consumption of his Globallink 520, when connected to 12V? How much is it? I have recently installed the Globallink 520 at my boat and the installed BMV 712 batt monitor shows 0,11A with only the Globallink connected to the batteries. The manual says the 520 should only consume 20-40mA, dependening whether the integrated relay is open or closed - so 0,11A IMHO seems way to much.
I will check with a multimeter later when I'm at the boat again but maybe one of you meanwhile can give me some figures to compare....
Screenshot_2023-02-01-16-45-41-881_com.victronenergy.victronconnect_200.jpg

globallink
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

8 Answers
jolir avatar image
jolir answered ·

I have a GL520 connected to a BMV712S, a SmartShunt and an MPPT and there is no noticeable current being drawn by the GL520, even at night when the MPPT is off.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ralf-victron answered ·

TX for your reply, jolir! I've read your other threads about the 520 before opening this thread and was hoping that you would chime in and reply to my question :-) , because you seem to have nearly the same configuration as I have: Globallink 520, BMV712 with Shunt, MPPT 75/10. I would have contacted you by PM, but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be possible here in this community forum. Weird that you don't see any noticable current drawn by the 520....

I've just took the 520 home again for another test and connected it to a 12v-batterie via a small watt-meter. The watt-meter also shows a permanant power consumption of 0,11 - 0,12A. so my BMV's readings obviously are correct :-(((( and Victron's manual is not! During summer time this wouldn't matter, because at my boat, a solar panel then would power the batt during our absence. But during winter time when the boat is parked in a shed for appr. 6 month, this will become a problem. I'm thinking about installing a small programmable timer between 520 and batt, so that the 520 only is active for maybe one hour a day - it would be ok for me to get updated batt-data only once a day.

2 |3000

jolir avatar image
jolir answered ·

4fb7737b-3c97-4bf8-94de-8c40fdf9b7af.jpegThis is a screenshot of my main batteries over the last 2 days. They receive solar power during the day, but nothing from around 1600 each day to around 0800 the following day.

These batteries power my GL520. As you can see, there is absolutely no perceptible current draw overnight. It is ever so, regardless of how many days I go back. I first installed my GL520 last September.

1 comment
2 |3000

ralf-victron avatar image ralf-victron commented ·

No idea, whether you don't see this consumption....

Here is a screenshot from the data of my BMV712, when the 520 was connected
bmv712-520-amps.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
bmv712-520-amps.jpg (178.7 KiB)
Øystein Hennø avatar image
Øystein Hennø answered ·

Gents, The power consumption is very small and actual data is in the manual:

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/GlobalLink_520/en/power.html

As you may see, the state of the relay is important to the power consumption.

1 comment
2 |3000

TX for your reply. But I've already mentioned the manual's 'actual data' in my first post ("20-40mA, depending whether the integrated relay is open or closed"). Unfortunately this is far away from what I'm measuring: 0,11-0,12A . Relay state is 'closed'. The picture is the display of my watt-meter, connected between the 520 and a battery. Nothing else.
img-20230208-200029.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
ralf-victron answered ·

I just got a second 520 for comparison and bench tested it: same power consumption as the first one. Even a little bit more: this one mostly consumes 0,12A. meanwhile the other one mostly was 0,11A. I checked both ones with two different watt-meters. so values should be reliable. So I will install the 520 in my boat - as I mentioned before - with a timer, only activating it for 2 hours a day, to keep battery consumption low.

1 comment
2 |3000

Øystein Hennø avatar image Øystein Hennø commented ·
I got 12 units... all within the specs of the manual. Consumption is bearly readable.

Got all of them on the load output of the MPPT... and all say "0.0A" due to its resolution in VRM.

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to let you guys know that Victron will be looking into this and then let you know about the outcome.

2 comments
2 |3000

christern avatar image christern commented ·
Would appreciate if the outcome also would be published here as I am interested in bying one but not with that high consumption. (Then I would go for Cerbo)
0 Likes 0 ·
Now 10 days since Stefanie's reply.. How long will it take for Victron to look into this?
0 Likes 0 ·
ralf-victron answered ·

That would be great! Really would like to know whether this is just a problem on my side or whether this is a problem at the 520. If I can be of further assistance, please let me know!

2 comments
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
It would be interesting to know the power consumption with the 520 disconnected. Possibly another load you're not aware of.
0 Likes 0 ·
ralf-victron avatar image ralf-victron kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
That's the reason why I did an additional bench test at home, with only the 520 connected to a batt via a watt-meter and nothing else.
0 Likes 0 ·
er-minio avatar image
er-minio answered ·

I am facing the same power draw issue. Similar figures as other reported in this post.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Globalink Product page

Globalink Online Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic