question

mikli avatar image
mikli asked

Rpi + 5 inch touch screen - dimming issue

Hi, I bought a Waveshare 5 inch DSI touchscreen to my Raspberry Pi and it worked perfect directly out of the box. The only thing I have not managed to solve yet is to get the dimming to work to conserve energy when the screen is not in use. I have downloaded the RpiDisplaySetup but it will not install. According to the instruction I need to install from the command-line but that's where I'm stuck. How do I manage to install the package then? Any other tips to manage the dimming / standby mode of the Waveshare screen?

Raspberry Pidisplay
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

You need to run /data/RpiDisplaySetup/setup from a command line prompt either via SSH or a keyboard and mouse plugged into the Pi.

Running Venus OS on a Raspberry Pi isn't plug and play and does require some customization requiring command line (aka terminal) access along with unix knowledge.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mikli avatar image mikli commented ·
Thanks for your your reply! Unfortunately I don't have any Unix skills what so ever. Any advice on how to get back to the commandline as the Victron start screen loads automatically?
0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem mikli commented ·

Uninstall RpiDisplaySetup from PackageManager. That should disable the local GUI.

You might consider another GX device that requires less under the hood tweaking such as Cerbo GX.

0 Likes 0 ·
mikli avatar image mikli Kevin Windrem commented ·
Thanks again for your help! I'm learning as I go along but thanks for the advice.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Raspberry Pi running Victron’s Venus firmware - Blog Post

Venus OS Large image: Signal K and Node-RED - Install

raspberrypi install venus image