question

busta999 avatar image
busta999 asked

Victron MQTT Broker - How to set Password?

Does anyone know how to set the MQTT Broker built into Victron with usernames/passwords? Normally you would create a password file and run it through an encrypter tool. But cannot see how to do this on the Victron MQTT Broker

MQTT
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

7 Answers
busta999 avatar image
busta999 answered ·

Am I really the only person is using MQTT and wants to tighten up security?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

djbower1 avatar image djbower1 commented ·
Would also like to know
0 Likes 0 ·
mr-manuel avatar image
mr-manuel answered ·

I was searching for the same thing and found nothing other than this tread.

Just to keep things clear: I'm not responsible, if you break anything.

To setup an authentication for MQTT you need to have root ssh access to Venus OS.

1. Write a username and a password somewhere, so that we can use this later. I will reference it as YOURUSERNAME and YOURPASSWORD

2. Connect to Venus OS via SSH (https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:root_access#root_access)

3. Change the dbus-mqtt run service-template file, else the changes get lost on every reboot

nano /opt/victronenergy/service-templates/dbus-mqtt/run
    and change

exec softlimit -d 100000000 -s 1000000 -a 100000000 /opt/victronenergy/dbus-mqtt/dbus_mqtt.py --init-broker
    to

exec softlimit -d 100000000 -s 1000000 -a 100000000 /opt/victronenergy/dbus-mqtt/dbus_mqtt.py --init-broker --mqtt-user YOURUSERNAME --mqtt-password YOURPASSWORD

4. Create a users file that contains the username and password. One combination per line

nano /etc/mosquitto/users
    add the username and password. If you don't need multiple users only insert the first line.

YOURUSERNAME:YOURPASSWORD
    user2:password2
    user3:password3

5. Crypt the password file by running

mosquitto_passwd -U /etc/mosquitto/users

6. Change the mosquitto.conf to use the password file and disallow anonymous users

nano /etc/mosquitto/mosquitto.conf
    add

allow_anonymous false
    password_file /etc/mosquitto/users
    under

port 1883

7. Reboot and you are done.

For a better security I also reccomend to disable "MQTT on LAN (Plaintext)" in the Venus OS GUI -> Settings -> Services.

If something don't work anymore after this modifications you can change

allow_anonymous true

to allow access without username and password again. After you have to restart the mosquitto service

svc -t /service/mosquitto

This changes are not persistant after an update. I'm writing a script to simplify the setup and make change persistant after an update. I will post the link here once finished.

EDIT: I will not write a script, since Venus OS will use FlashMQ in a future release that includes password protection.

2 |3000

Oleg Gurevich avatar image
Oleg Gurevich answered ·

exactly what i was looking for. many thanks.

2 |3000

lumik avatar image
lumik answered ·

I was looking for this too, thanks for your guide. Do anyone knows whether it is possible to modify/write or change any settings on Victron over MQTT? I am a little bit scared that if I enable MQTT, anyone on the LAN would be able to publish topics to Victron and modify it.

Do I understand correctly, that when the MQTT on Victron is not password-protected, anyone can modify it?

1 comment
2 |3000

mr-manuel avatar image mr-manuel commented ·
Thats correct, therefore I wanted to password protect it.
0 Likes 0 ·
Oleg Gurevich answered ·

with password set i see in logs an connecting trying from local that fails.

New connection from ::1 on port 1883. 2023-07-08 14:44:51.698032500 1688827491: New client connected from ::1 as VenusRPC_48xxxxxxxx17_cf089xxxxxxxx45d (p2, c1, k60, u'ccgxapikey_48xxxxxxxx17')

The attempt to establish a connection starts when you click on a VRM installation with the VictonConnect app. is there a possibility to store the credentials here?

2 |3000

Oleg Gurevich answered ·

... found a solution worked for me.

https://de.wikibooks.org/wiki/MQTT-Broker_einrichten/_Multiple_Listener

it make sense for allow anonymous connection on port 1883 but not on port 8883.

in cerbo gx setting MQTT on LAN (Plaintext) switched OFF, so only local process still be able to connect to port 1883

MQTT on LAN (SSL) switched ON

The configuration of mosquitto looks like:

/etc/mosquitto/mosquitto.conf

include_dir /etc/mosquitto/conf.d
include_dir /run/mosquitto

/etc/mosquitto/conf.d/global.conf

per_listener_settings true
user mosquitto

/etc/mosquitto/conf.d/plain.conf

listener 1883
allow_anonymous true

/etc/mosquitto/conf.d/websockets.conf

listener 9001
protocol websockets

/etc/mosquitto/conf.d/wit-ssl.conf

listener 8883
password_file /etc/mosquitto/users
capath /etc/ssl/certs
certfile /data/keys/mosquitto.crt
keyfile /data/keys/mosquitto.key

on listener 8883 is per default allow_anonymous false

2 |3000

lumik avatar image
lumik answered ·

Hello guys, has anyone tried to make this work on current Venus OS (3.30 or higher)? Venus OS already switched to FlashMQ, so I assume the configuration of authentication changed.

Any report welcome - I still want to read my Victron values securely in local network, I don't want to expose any anonymous MQTT...

1 comment
2 |3000

lumik avatar image lumik commented ·

UPDATE: (Hello Oleg Gurevich :-), I've found the github thread (https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/issues/1098) where you asked the same, so it seems native password protection is coming.. that would finally resolve our issue.. It seems there is very little of people who are concerned about security in this area.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources