question

garry414 avatar image
garry414 asked

Smart Solar--how many MPPT trackers

I am considering buying the 250/70 Smart Solar..1 version is the TR--screw terminal +/- and the other has 2 x MC4 inputs

Question is do the 2 x MC4 inputs connect to 2 individual MPPT's OR just combined into one MPPT internally ?

MPPT SmartSolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

As you suspect, the 2 pairs of mc4 connectors are combined in the mppt to a single tracker.

Pls note, each pair of mc4 are rated at 30a.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

garry414 avatar image
garry414 answered ·

Thankyou...It will make me re think my design of having 12 panels in a row with 2 strings....especially as at the end of the panel array there is often shading which with only 1 tracker will reduce the entire array's out put significantly...

do all of Victrons MPPT 's--smart and blue configured the same--ie only one MPPT internal tracker arther than multiples ?

2 comments
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

The SmartSolar MPPT RS solar range have multiple mppt trackers.

The 450/100 has 2 trackers, and the 450/200 has 4 trackers.

0 Likes 0 ·
garry414 avatar image garry414 klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
Thanks for that....I just need to come to terms with paying approx $1600 AUS for the 450/100
0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Garry414

If you have selective shading on one panel in a string then all the panels in that string get their Amps reduced. Regardless of the number of trackers. This is the issue you need to address. Multiple trackers may have little effect at all on overall output.

3 comments
2 |3000

garry414 avatar image garry414 commented ·
thanks, I was hoping to wire the 2 strings in parallel into 2 trackers.......One string of panels only would be vunerable to shading.in my location which I'm constrained by physical real estate on the side of the house
0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ garry414 commented ·
@Garry414

You may be overthinking this a little, wanting it all into one blue box. Usually in a situation like this a designer would split the panels into smaller strings (say 3x for you) and use like a 150/ mppt. More wires sure, but the mppt should be cheaper. And the shaded panels have less effect on output overall. The gains doing this would far outweigh gains from multiple trackers.

Then of course multiple trackers can be had with multiple mppts. The 150/ range goes further down in the Amp ratings than the 250/'s, so worth considering multiples.

The Victron range of mppts is massive. Many can be scratched with 48V batts, but there's plenty to work with if you can shake off those preconceived 'must-haves' that may not be as important as you think.

1 Like 1 ·
garry414 avatar image garry414 JohnC ♦ commented ·
Thanks John, yes I was aiming high --1st position...now as per guidance considering a somewhat more of a compromise..... see where this lands me.

much appreciated

1 Like 1 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic