question

uli-u-aus-s avatar image
uli-u-aus-s asked

Running a Quattro/Pylontec system over the Winter time and other toughts

img-3375.jpgHello Community,

I'm running a Victron Quattro 10KW/Venus/several SolarChargers/ and step by step

5* US3000C than i added further 5* US 3000C and than i added further 4* US 3000C.

so i drive 14 us 3000C, this is a nice power storage (Connected in paralell in 2*7 Batteries) . Everything is running well, i'm very satisfied.

With the experience i get now, i have some questions to make a further development.

1. Running in Wintertime

In wintertime i keep the batteries on a SOC between 70-80%. The weatherconitions are so bad on some days i get 0,5 kWh, so that it makes in my oppinion no sense to drive the system.

So I run on Grid.

Now the Queston 1: Is it possible to run the System as an stand by system ? if the grid goes down ,

the system should switch to batterys. how does the settings look like in VE Config, if possible ?

2. Further Batteries

in the Victron manuals they write, you can add 15 Pylontec batteries without an hub solution..

Now Pylontec added a new US 5000C batterie ... is it possible to add one further batterie US 5000C to my 14 US 3000 batteries as an third battery string ? has this new US 5000C be the Master (the first Batterie in the line?

thank you for sharing your thougts an a hyppy new year

uli u. aus s.

battery capacity
img-3375.jpg (2.2 MiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

To run the Pylontech batteries as a standby system (UPS) just install the ESS assistant,and select “keep batteries charged”. 4fd87cbb-21f9-4a7b-9b0b-d9558b464c06.jpeg

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

The US5000 series manual says yes, can be done and the US5000 must be cabled as master.

Careful with your cabling, you might exceed the cable current limits on the interconnect cables. And I don't think you're allowed to mount on their sides like that. Certainly it's not allowed for the US5000 series.

2 |3000

uli-u-aus-s avatar image
uli-u-aus-s answered ·

@Mark Thank you, in general it is possible to have the system as an UPS

unfortunately after several trials to start the ESS, i don't get started it....

@ kevgermany

ok the US5000C first. You are right the US5000C has to be mounted horizontal.

the US3000C ist horizontal or vertical. The current is ok, because the upper 7 Batteries are connected with 2*25mm2(+) an 2*25mm2(-) and the 7 batteries in the bottom also. so i have 100mm2 per polarity. the solarfuse is 125 A , the fuse to the Quattro is 200A, so i have in the worse case 2Amps per 1mm2 cable... this is far enough. if i add an further Batterie this will get an third string.

thanks together

Uli U aus S

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic