question

bjdejong avatar image
bjdejong asked

Issues: charging with an Orion 12/12 - 30 (Tr-smart, non-isolated)

Hello Community,

My Orion in my Ducato based camper (alternator, Lithium Liontron battery) seems to behave inconsistent. There are days that it runs nicely and there are days that it is simply hopeless.

I seem to have two issues, i.e. 1. the engine-running detection mechanism, and 2. bulk charge.

I think I have solved now issue 1 (still testing). I have done that by connecting the D+ signal to the L-pin. I tested it, and yesterday it worked as chime. (I am not 100% sure).

Regarding issue 2 I have this weird behavior today from the Orion that it goes into Bulk-charge, but, most of the time, does not produce sufficient voltage for the Lithium battery to start loading. -- E.g. it puts 12.1 Volt on the output, while the battery has 12.1 volt as well. At odd times when it kicks up the voltage to 12.2 - 12.3 V the battery starts to load properly, but then you can wait for it; it takes 60-120 seconds before we back at a non-effective "bulk-charge".

Is there anybody that can explain what's going on, and how I can address this issue?

BTW, the camper 12V network has also an Victron MPPT connected; this does work nicely.

Any suggestions on how to solve this mystery are welkom.

Kind Regards,

Barend Jan

orion-tr smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

0 Answers