question

kbk avatar image
kbk asked

Orion Smart 24/24 17 chargers drop alternator voltage from 28 to 16 when charging

I'm running a LifePo4 24v battery in a marine environment. If I run my 24v alternator directly to the bank, it's charging at 27.5v and 45 amps. When I connect the same wiring to (qty 4) Orion TR Smart 24/24-17 chargers wired in parallel, input voltage drops to 16.1v (barely above the lowest cutoff voltage) and charging shows 22A, or about half the input amps. I believe this to be the loss in trying to output 28.2v with only 16v of input. If I shut down 3 of the chargers and only use one, I get the full input voltage of 27.5v +/-, but of course a single charger is limited to 17A, and I'm seeing maybe 10-12A, again with 45A coming in. Adding a second charger drops input voltage to 18, and third will take it to 16.1. Fourth charger seems to make no difference. Charger wiring has been checked repeatedly, and all input wires have sleeve collars (like pin crimp connectors) over the wire to prevent stray strands.

orion-tr smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack answered ·

4 x 17A output mean 68A+Eff input.

How many Amperes does your Alternator have?

And AFAIK, you can not run the Orion-TR charger directly on an Alternator, which need a battery to stabilise the Voltage.

First connect a cheap 24V battery on the Alternator (>80A) and then your Orion-TR Chargers one by one and see, if it helps.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.