question

f2011b avatar image
f2011b asked

Outside Box Smart Solar MPPT and self-heating batteries

I have a outside box with two 3rdparty batteries and a Smart Solar 100/50 MPPT attached to them.
Batteries are behind a Victron Smart Shunt 500A, to which a phoenix 500W inverter,
small usb power generator for the raspi with victron os are attached.

The 3rdparty batteries have an integrated BMS which uses external current of 5Amps to heat them up to the correct temperature about 11 degrees celsius, where they can accept full charging current.

Currently the temperatures are below freezing batteries are not completley charged but the
Victron Smart Solar does not charge them, but only provides the necessary power to the attached loads.

So the correct behaviour would be to first load around 134Watts for some time until the batteries are heated up and then utilize the full accessible power from the solar panels to load it completley.
However, this seems not work currently. When I put load onto the AC sometimes the 134Watts are seen and after a time it starts charging correctly.

Settings of the Smart Solar.
Batterie set to LifePo4 and Temperaturethreshold turned off
oad Output setting to always off

My questions:

Does somebody have a similar setup with self-heating batteries?
Any ideas to solve that problem, without using external current or additional heating pads?

Thanks in advance.

MPPT SmartSolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
ag123 avatar image
ag123 answered ·

Hello

Have similar problem, self heating battery not start charging when in "heating" mode ,think problem is ,in heating mode battery resistance jumping , Smart Shunt show V jumps.

My settings is Absorption 14,4V Float 13,8V

V jumps is more then 14,4 V in my case and this prevent start of charging.

Have MultiPlus Compact 12/1600/70-16 and MPPT-278 connected to self heating Battery.

Interestingly previously have Phoenix Smart 50A charger, this charger start charge self heating Battery without problem, heating phase 10A , later charging with 50 A.

Probable there is some average calculation for V in charger.

Maybe some of Victron staff can help.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic