question

westen avatar image
westen asked

Globallink 520 added external antenne, but it say otherwise?

Hi,

I added an external antenna to my Globallink 520 the other day. Signal strength was boosted by 5 -10Db, so no complaints there! The antenna used is the one Victron recommends on it's site.

Statusscreen keeps saying that an internal antenna is used (lower right in picture):

antenna.png

Do I have to make adjustments in the configuration to get this reading to change to "external antenna used"?

Any thoughts on this appreciated, greetings!

Jan

globallink
antenna.png (206.2 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
jolir avatar image
jolir answered ·

I suspect you’re still on “Internal” antenna.

You have to move the tiny switch next to the antenna connector to EXTERNAL.

Your signal strength with an external antenna should jump up to around -65dBm to -70dBm. Your current signal strength of around -85dBm is typical for the internal antenna.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Øystein Hennø avatar image
Øystein Hennø answered ·

Signal level RSSI depends on many factors. I have seen similar on one of my units which showed Internal in both positions of the switch (later deemed faulty). Try the switch in both locations and compare signal level (reboot unit each time and only flip switch with power disconnected). Make sure the GL520 rests in somewhat same position each time you test.

2 |3000

westen avatar image
westen answered ·

First of all: I really, really like this Globallink 520!

Thanks Jolir and thanks Ostein Henno (never seem to get the "O's" right, not for lack of trying),

Both of your answers have helped me a lot:

Jolir, you were right, I had not switched to "external" on the device. Had overlooked it completely. Had the GL520 mounted as high as possible and just screwed the antenna in without looking for switches).

Switching it "upped" RSSI by almost 10dB. Thanks for this solid piece of advice.

Henno, Thanks also! Like you said: according to the VRM graph the antenna is still in "intern" mode (which I'm sure it isn't), so tomorrow I'm going to try your recommendations and reboot stuff. See what happens.

Overall very happy with the 10dB boost, although to be honest ... I barely had any glitches before ...

have a great evening!

jan

2 |3000

jolir avatar image
jolir answered ·

At around -65dBm to -75dBm, you’ll get a faster data rate and few data dropouts. Below around -75dBm, you’ll get dropouts and at <-85dBm, the link will be unreliable.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Globalink Product page

Globalink Online Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic