question

noel avatar image
noel asked

Battery Performance Monitoring

Hi there,

looking for some help to understand how to see if my batteries are performing to spec. If I look at the VRM dashboard, go to Historical Data, then the Consumption tag, I see that my battery has supplied much less energy than I see in the Solar tag That the solar system has put into it.

For example, yesterday my consumption tag showed 56kWh total consumption with 20kWh from the grid, 22kWh from the solar panels and 14kWh from my storage batteries. Then looking at the solar panel tag, it showed a total of 45kWh produced, 22kWh went direct to loads and 23kWh went to my batteries.

Can I compare the 23kWh put into the batteries with the 14kWh produced?

These are not isolated numbers, my system shows an average of a 75% recovery from the batteries.

I have 19kWh of storage using 10 Zenarji Aeon A48-40 cells. Zenaji suggest that the monitoring system within the VRM could be inaccurate or I may need a smart shunt installed.

I have a 3 phase system with 10kW of solar, 3 off MultiPlus 11 units and 2 MPPT 250/100 with enery meter and GX control

Any help would be appreciated

battery capacity
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

@Noel You need to use all 3 views from the dashboard to get the full picture of the energy flow.

You also need to remember that the report runs midnight to midnight, so solar going into your battery during daylight hours also has to account for what was drawn from them the previous day after solar production stopped, because at midnight your SOC would not have been 100%.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Noel

Just to add there, even if am running a keep batteries charged system, there will still be solar going to the battery occasionally.

The system power assisting from the battery is classed as consumption. Requires the power to be replaced so how often the that happens affects that figure as well.

So in the case of this system, the solar shows 2.1kwh to the battery and on consumption 0.3kwh. You also have the voltage rise from float to bulk in the day when ESSing of the solar. So also a charge but not really charging if that makes sense, then there is also the absorption 'charge'.

So just be aware there are other reasons for power to be going to the battery, even if you are not cycling.

1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Best way to know what goes in and out of the battery is a shunt. In the case of your system, it is calculated.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic