question

Øystein Hennø avatar image
Øystein Hennø asked

Globallink 520 - Random reboots

The Globallink 520 seems to reboot at random times, quite often, and without any reason.

This happened on firmware 2.05 and also on 2.06.

It is a serious issue as it also affect the relay connection where we have the primary equipment connected. Its wired through the relay with relay energized for normal operation of the equipment as the equipment is only used summer time and relay is then disengaged in winter time to save battery and less chance of icing on equipment.

Is there any troubleshooting done to rectify on this issue?

globallink
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

The GlobalLink 520 will restart if it has not been able to connect in the last 15 minutes or if it cannot reach a network. Check the Signal RSSI > https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/GlobalLink_520/en/troubleshooting.html

Anything below 65dBm should be fine. It is also worth to notice that weather can have a significant effect on signal propagation in that frequency range. If you're not using one already, an external antenna surely helps.

As also mentioned in the manual that a relay change can take up to 15 minutes or longer if the device has no connection. If the relay is controlling time sensitive applications I would not use it for this purpose unless the connection has been proven to have a stable and persistent connection.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Lasse avatar image Lasse ♦♦ commented ·
@Stefanie link is not working
0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ Lasse ♦♦ commented ·
@Lasse Should work now.
0 Likes 0 ·
Øystein Hennø answered ·

Don't tell me it won't operate stable beyond -65dBm for a LTE-M signal. Then it not according to common telecom industry standards and required signal levels (which I am an engineer in).

LTE-M devices have far better sensitivity to LTE-M signal levels compared to regular LTE (4g) signal levels, hence better range and coverage. Also RSSI is a combination of 3 factors (RSSI = wideband power = noise + serving cell power + interference power) and not a good indicator on LTE. Would have been better to use RSRP and RSRQ which is the correct signal references to use for these kind of signals.

See Nordic Semiconductor's reference table to signal levels for LTE-M and NB-IoT devices:

https://infocenter.nordicsemi.com/index.jsp?topic=%2Fref_at_commands%2FREF%2Fat_commands%2Fmob_termination_ctrl_status%2Fproc_cesq_set.html

I'm already using external antenna to improve the signal, but behavior is the same.

I have other 3rd party LTE-M devices nearby the Globallink units and they run like a clock on the same signal level. Also tested clean air around and still same.

The available "in air LTE-M" signal is steady and good enough... nothing seems related to actual RSSI level fluctuating or similar. Got 13 units online. This seems to be something in the code that makes it trig a reboot, for reasons currently unknown.

Fully aware of relay response is related to comms with unit and it only syncs every 15 min. That's not what I write.

The challenge is that when the unit reboots, and primary equipment is wired over the relay, the reboot makes the relay drop, which also cause my primary equipment to reboot as a knock on effect, which again affect the uptime of the primary equipment.

Missing a single connection to network should not make it reboot, only idle till next try. There is a big difference to resetting the internal LTE-M modem vs rebooting the full unit. If you want to make some redundant safety into this, you can reset internal modem after e.g. 4 tries (of 15 min equals 1 hour), but not reboot the whole unit.

2 |3000

jolir avatar image
jolir answered ·

Like you, I have a great signal on my GL520 using an external antenna (typically -65dBm, but not worse than -70dBm).

However, some days it works flawlessly and doesn’t miss a beat, other days it will not poll at 15 minute intervals, perhaps being offline from around 45 minutes up to over 2 hours. On some days, this can happen 5 or 6 times

After missing a poll, it will retry 3 times before rebooting. However, more often than not, even the reboot fails to connect and it eventually reconnects after a seemingly random time.

I, too, have a background in telecomms and I’m convinced it’s not the GL520 causing the problem, but the LTE-M network provider (O2 in my case in the UK).

2 |3000

jolir avatar image
jolir answered ·

Here’s a screenshot of the last few days, showing that sometimes there’s a comms failure several times a day, yet other days none at all.

6c651b71-a63a-4300-abf8-5cd2926588a1.jpeg

2 |3000

Øystein Hennø answered ·

Well, I got 12 of the units (GL520) in somewhat close/same geographical area and none of them correlate on drop-outs/reboots so I don't find the common issue to be related to signal coverage.

Also as mentioned, I have 3rd party equipment also in the area, using the same LTE-M signal, without any issues.

4 comments
2 |3000

bjornnilsen avatar image bjornnilsen commented ·

Same problem. Two 520 mounted with a 10 meter distance between them. Two different buildings. 75db with internal antenna and 59db with external antenna. 520 with 59db restarts every 1.5 hours ish. 520 with 75db restarts last time 6 hours ago. Carrier Telenor that supports LTE-M.

0 Likes 0 ·
bjornnilsen avatar image bjornnilsen bjornnilsen commented ·

01d8024a-c364-444c-a5d5-520e1c2534f7.jpeg

Last screenshot

0 Likes 0 ·
urs4-2008 avatar image urs4-2008 commented ·
Hi Øystein. Any new info about this? Did you get the issues resolved?
0 Likes 0 ·
Øystein Hennø avatar image Øystein Hennø urs4-2008 commented ·
No, unfortunately not resolved and the replies from Victron seems to have vanished into the thin air.... so it seems like they don't think this is a big issue... :O
1 Like 1 ·
fefr avatar image
fefr answered ·

Same problem here too. I have an external antenna.

It seem to keep changing between Telenor and Telia. Its most stable when connected to Telenor at -75dB. Most reboot when connected to Telia at -55dB.

1702986600490.png

1702986600490.png (79.9 KiB)
2 |3000

Related Resources

Globalink Product page

Globalink Online Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic