question

apw avatar image
apw asked

BM 712 Not Displaying Amps for All Loads

Hello,

I had an old diesel heater wired directly to the house batteries. I could monitor heater amp draw on my 712 quite easily. I replaced the diesel heater, and added a Blue Seas fuse block, to which I connected the heater. The negative (ground) for the heater still was connected to the house battery.

When I run the new heater, I am not able to see amp draw on my battery monitor. All other devices (lights, pumps etc.) display the amp draw.

The first thing I will do is connect the heater back to the battery directly and not use the fuse block (I will try this tomorrow). Does anybody have any other ideas on how to troubleshoot?

Thanks!

Andy

amps
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Shunt measures current through negative connections.

Negative side of all consumers and chargers must be connected to the load side of the shunt. Battery side of the shunt to the battery. Nothing else to the battery negative. No exceptions.

Positive side of the battery connects direct to consumers/chargers.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

apw avatar image
apw answered ·

Thank you very much - looks like I need a negative bus bar!

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic