question

hanski avatar image
hanski asked

Battery banks capacity

I have a battery bank made of 6 pcs. ETHERNITY 8PzS-ET 1000-LM C5 2V connected in series. The total capacity of that traction battery system is 12V/1000Ah/C5.

Some producers have informed the capacity of the cell measured with C10 or C20. Could somebody tell me what is the right value to write in my Victron MPPT 150-85 solar charger controller and in my Victron Multiplus 3000 KVA 12V 16A inverter charger? Battery capacity has to be put there in both.

What difference is there to using for example 1000Ah/C5 or 1200Ah/C20 with the same battery?

battery capacity
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Battery capacity depends on how large the current is through it. In general, the higher the current, the lower the capacity. C5 is the capacity if you drain the battery in 5 hours. So base battery capacit on how hard you're going to use it.

Check, I think you need to configure equalisation for these batteries.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Hanski

It's normal to use the C20 figure in the Victron shunts, as battery discharge is corrected relative to C20 to make the calculations. In the Multi it shouldn't matter much for it's SOC. But I can't recall ever seeing it in the mppts - educate me..

1 comment
2 |3000

hanski avatar image hanski commented ·

Thanks a lot! I will ask from the ETHERNITY company what is the capacity value with C20. My daily consumption is 2,3kWh/day. The biggest current will come from my vacuum cleaner, 20 minutes 100A and water boiler, 10 minutes 170A.

0 Likes 0 ·
hanski avatar image
hanski answered ·

Thanks a lot! I will ask from the ETHERNITY company what is the capacity value with C20. My daily consumption is 2,3kWh/day. The biggest current will come from my vacuum cleaner, 20 minutes 100A and water boiler, 10 minutes 170A.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic