question

mercuricmind avatar image
mercuricmind asked

SmartSolar MPPTs with VE.CAN not Synchronizing

My 48v system has 2 smartsolar 250/70 MPPTs with VE.CAN daisy chained to a Cerbo GX with the color control. Each MPPT is suplplied by three 400W panels in series. I have not been able to get the mppts to synchronize and enter the same charging state. How should this be accomplished? I have not found an answer searching through the interwebs as of yet.

MPPT SmartSolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

Do you have a VE.Can termination plug at the beginning and end of your VE.Can string?

Have you manually configured the MPPT with identical settings?

Do you have a BMS managing the system?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mercuricmind answered ·

Thank you for commenting.

Yes I have the mppts linked with the rj45 cable and have the 120K terminators at the ends, Both mppts have the same settings. I do have a BMS and have the cerbo set with dvcc. The BMS has an internal 120k CAN terminator and I have the other terminator at the cerbo in the BMS.CAN ports. Also connected to the cerbo is a lynx shunt and distributor, and a quatro inverter charger. I have panel voltage and battery voltage at the terminals of each mppt but only one produce current.

2 |3000

snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·
  1. Does the working charger show "External control" on VRM/VictronConnect?
  2. Does the non-working charger show "External control"?
  3. Are both chargers visible on VRM?

2 |3000

mercuricmind answered ·

Thanks again,

To answer your questions:

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Yes

The mppts were showing that they were in master slave mode.

I'm currently not at the installation location any more. So I will have to continue to troubleshoot when I return. I plan on physically swapping the mppts around to determine if there is either bad wiring or a bad mppt controller.

Thanks again

2 |3000

snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

I'm at a loss. Swapping seems like a good idea. I'd also try two new network cables.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic