question

Steve avatar image
Steve asked

Using Orion-Tr Smart DC-DC for bidirectional charging.

Greetings, I have AGM batteries for coach power and Lead Acid for chassis power. My AGM batteries are solar charged, the chassis batteries are alternator charged. Would the Orion Smart Tr be able to transfer charge from one bank to the other? I hope to be able to place a switch which will change the input and output of the Orion to which ever battery is in need of replenishing. Example: Driving on a cloudy day; would like to have the chassis batteries replenishing the coach batteries. Parked at camp; would like the coach batteries replenishing the chassis batteries.

My understanding is these batteries have different charging algorithms. Does the Orion allow the switching between different charging profiles, ie. saving a profile for each charging scenario?

Thanks in advance.

orion-tr smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
thtruck avatar image
thtruck answered ·

@mvader (Victron Energy) or others. Please your opinion about this question because i have the same. At this moment i use a Orion-Tr 24/24-17A to charge the starterbattery from the secondary (household) battery and i am curious if the process can also be reversed like the cyrix-ct can. Or should i simply replace the dc-dc for a cyrix-ct installation?

Another question is can i use both at the same time? Meaning charging the secondary battery from the starterbattery i.c.m. dynamo while the dc-dc is charging the starterbattery from the secondary battery? That would be silly i presume. Or stop the dc-dc automatically when the engine is running? The latter is programmable on the dc-dc with victron connect if i am right.

Because the truck i have my victron installation in is most of the time standing still but i want to have my starterbattery charged whenever possible and when i am driving i want the secondary battery also charged.

Thanks in advance.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Robert avatar image Robert commented ·
Good morning.

I need a answer for this question too.

I've a similar use case.

Maybe two Orion Smart DC/DC charger can handle this.

The first Orion charge the secondary battery with the alternator.

The second Orion charge the starter battery with Solar or different charger.

Both Orion are able to start and stop remotely.

Best regards Robert

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ Robert commented ·

A manual solution would be 2 pairs of Anderson plugs, labeled clearly.

2 plugs labeled battery in, charge out, on the Orion.

A plug for each battery lead, labeled start batt, and house batt.

The battery charge regime might have to be changed on the Orion should the battery types be different.

Of course there is the possibility that the 2 batteries could be directly together.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Firstly Orions are unidirectional. No option to switch.

Options:

Two Orions, one charging in each direction. Might sound crazy, but as charging is initiated by source voltage it will work automatically. This also allows mixed battery chemistry e.g. AGM starter, lithium house.

One Orion with manual switching that can handle the currents.This will work if both battery banks have the same chemistry. Messy, not automatic. Risk of killing the starter battery if you forget to switch and setup is incorrect.

Orion from starter battery to house bank, trickle charger from house to starter. Most of the time a starter battery only needs a maintenance feed, so heavy duty charging not needed. This solution works well for me and is fully automatic.

3 comments
2 |3000

Robert avatar image Robert commented ·
Hello kevgermany, thank you for this information.

With two Orions i can use the ATC and ATD from the BMS to protect the Lithium Bank.

Best regards Robert

0 Likes 0 ·
thtruck avatar image thtruck commented ·

Sounds logical but won't a much cheaper cyrix-ct do the trick also? If the engine runs the Orion can be automaticly stopped in the configuration of the Orion itself.

0 Likes 0 ·
Robert avatar image Robert thtruck commented ·
Hello, one cyrix doesn't work.

One example for this.

When Lithium Batterie are cold, there is no allow to charge.

But allow to discharge.

How you realise to send the current only in one direction?

Two Cyrix and two Diods maybe....

0 Likes 0 ·