question

nama avatar image
nama asked

False overload alarm - Multiplus-II

Inverter shut down with overload alarm - apparently false. System running for over a year with no recent changes. Runs ESS assistant. Grid stable at time of overload alarm. Shutdown occurred midday while battery floating and very small load. Thorough study of available data did not reveal anything. Where else can/should I look? Or do I accept it as a glitch... not so easy to explain to a client?

Multiplus-IIESS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

With absolutely no information about the installation, no charts nor config it is impossible to diagnose, apart from blaming angry pixies.

Help us to help you by properly documenting the environment and issue.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nama avatar image
nama answered ·

Nick, the installation is a Multiplus-II 48/5000 with a Freedom Won 10/8 and PV. System was initially configured to run virtual switch, but changed to ESS about a year ago. The Multi (product id 2623) runs f/w ver 470. The Overload L1 Alarm occurred at 13h53 when the Multi shut down. At this point the output was less than 400w, the battery was floating at 55.4V and the grid was stable at 236.8V and 50.36Hz. I studied the data around this time (excel download) and could not find a reason for the OL alarm and shutdown. Just trying to understand why this happened and would really appreciate any suggestions. Will a f/w update address or help prevent recurrence? Thank you for you time.

1665645330651.png

1665645330651.png (30.4 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

@Nama overloads can happen for various reasons, the circumstances may be too transient to be captured by VRM.

There were some known issues that firmware did address, so that won't hurt.

You can also try disabling LOM detection

In my area I have plenty of overload warnings which is a result of the ageing grid, fortunately no outages but we do have occasional grid rejection forcing the multis to invert momentarily.

The western cape has been known for some bad grid issues.

0 Likes 0 ·
Warwick Bruce Chapman avatar image
Warwick Bruce Chapman answered ·

This is a phantom overload, finally resolved in 482. Please update the firmware on the MultiPlus-II to latest.

1 comment
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
Depends on the cause of the overload.
0 Likes 0 ·