question

mb1983k avatar image
mb1983k asked

How to add a Victron ESS System to an existing PV System with Fronius GEN24 10kWp

Hi,

I would like to add an Victron Multiplus 48/3000 with a Pylontech Battery to my existing PV System (Fronius GEN24, 10kWp, using 3 phases).

How to I connect the Victron Smart Meter to the system and how should I plan the cable circuit for the Victron Multiplus?

Many thanks!

Multiplus-IIESS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Jason - UK avatar image
Jason - UK answered ·

@MB1983k A couple of basics, you would need your PV system connected to the AC in side of the inverter. OF you had a power cut, your PV could generate more energy than the inverter can manage and damage the equipment. By keeping to PV on the AC in side, when you have a power cut, it automatically stops the PV system from generating.

I've got no experience of 3 phase systems myself but fell free to have a look at my schematic of my system on the below link in the photos section. Hopefully someone with 3 phase experience will post a comment to guide you in the right direction. My 5kva PV system is on my AC out as I use my Multiplus as both a ESS and a UPS.

https://vrm.victronenergy.com/installation/171934/share/db6807bb

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

johnone avatar image johnone commented ·

Many thanks for sharing your photos (I have a 4kW Multiplus II ESS on order, so v useful to see your set-up). Hope, then, you don't mind me querying the schematic? 'AC in' to the Multiplus is shown as via a 63A breaker in the Schneider 12 way panel. I see from this thread that AC in should be via an RCD device:

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/158242/do-i-need-rcd-protection-on-ac-in-on-multiplus-ii.html

And, to manage discrimination (presume you have RCBOs in the main distribution panel - again, looks to be in the photos but not shown on the schematic), this thread recommends a time delay RCD on the AC input circuit:

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/75263/rcd-keeps-tripping.html

Your photos seem to show what looks like an RCD on the AC input - is it a time delay RCD? Presume the schematic doesn't match what was actually installed? Thanks again for sharing the photos.

1 Like 1 ·
Jason - UK avatar image Jason - UK commented ·
@Johnone You are correct, the installation is a works in progress and so is the schematic. I update the schematic when I have time to show an 'as installed' layout. I have a 50A RCBO on the AC in side of the Multiplus. The ASHP & solar PV have one as well. The issue I do find is when a RCD trips on one of the main house circuits, it trip the MCBO on the AC in to the Multiplus as well which is a right pain in the arse. I'm trying to work out a better solution, maybe a going back to a 50a MCB and a separate time delay RCD as you mention below. It just means I need a bigger panel on the AC in side of things to fit a separate RCD.
1 Like 1 ·