question

sander-kersten avatar image
sander-kersten asked

Different solar panels om smartsolar mppt 100/50

On our boat we have 5 80watt Victron monocrystaline solar panels in parralel of which the charge controller stopped working I have replaced it with a smartsolar 100/50

Tgere is also an extra set of two older 80 watt bp solar panels also in parralel that are on their own older charge controller. Is it possible to connect the two bp panels together with the victrons all on the smartsolar mppt. Thanks in advance.

MPPT SmartSolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
ludo avatar image
ludo answered ·

Hi, to reduce losses over the wiring you should connect the panels in series ,ofc considering the max input voltage of the mppt.

All panels with identical current can be installed in series, all with identical voltage in parallel.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sander-kersten answered ·

They are in parralel because some are in the shade while others are in the sun most of the times. This cannot be changed because it's a sailboat

2 |3000

ludo avatar image
ludo answered ·

I have the same situation, so i have the panel groups (series wired) connected to three smaller mppt's.

2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

Your BP solar panels are right antiques, and might not measure the same today, as when they rolled of the production line over 15 years ago.. It would be nice though to know how they perform though.

Your Victron 80w panels are nearly as old.

I would not parallel 5 panels, without first investing $$ in string fuses/diodes.

7 parallel panels?? never. The fusing would be cost prohibitive.

You need to get more creative. 3 strings of 2 panels on your 100-50 mppt, or 2 strings of 3 panels on 100-50 mppt,, plus the spare panel on another 75-15 mppt.

2 |3000

sander-kersten answered ·

Thank you for the replies. I might invest in some other panels and an extra mppt

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic