question

gr0mit avatar image
gr0mit asked

ess charge power limit doesn't appear to do what I expect

Hi folks. I'm trying to limit the charge current of the batteries on my Multiplus II 48/5000 inverter when using ESS. Inverter running latest firmware.

as you can see, the battery is charging at the rate set in the multiplus VEConfigure tool (30A)

screenshot-2022-09-12-at-201720.png

screenshot-2022-09-12-at-201653.png

The ESS setting is for the purpose of experimentation set to 100W. But the batteries are still charging at 30A.

Is this a bug, or have I misunderstood something?

BR

Tim Robinson

Basingstoke, UK

ESS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·
@gr0mit

Just a thought here, you have scheduled charge on.

I think the system will then assume you want to charge the battery up in the window set so will override the settings in ESS there. The other setting it is overriding is the 10% in case of grid loss reserve there. Again kost likely because the system is assuming you want the batteries charged to the parameters you have set in the scheduled charge settings.

Usually in ESS the battery would stop charhing from grid at 10% if you had a grid outage and the percentage had dropped under that.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

gr0mit avatar image gr0mit commented ·
yup - I had scheduled charge as a way of getting batts to charge. But a scheduled charge should surely not override the max charge power if I've set it for good reason. e.g. some countries limit import with a breaker based on your contracted power. (e.g. France?) Here in UK there is no such 'contract' limit on residential services - only the main 100A fuse before the meter. But I want to limit for other operational reasons.
0 Likes 0 ·
sharpener avatar image
sharpener answered ·

Interesting. My Multi 48/5000 II-GX doesn't have the two "LImit Charge Power" lines in this ESS configuration page, is this something new?

2 comments
2 |3000

gr0mit avatar image gr0mit commented ·
What version of the Venus are you running?

I was using a Cerbo GX until it died due to the 48v death issue :-( , so running temporarily on a RPi 3 with the Venus image until my distributor sends a replacement Cerbo. Both had this inverter charge and power limit option. Neither seems to do anything.
0 Likes 0 ·
radon238 avatar image radon238 gr0mit commented ·
If DVCC is enabled, Then the Option to set "Maximum charge Power" under the ESS menu is hidden.

I suspect this is because you can set the Maximum charge Current in DVCC

1 Like 1 ·