question

crein avatar image
crein asked

ESS external control. Setpoint ignored when high solar charge and grid feed in happens.

Hi Victron users and professionals.

Just installed a small system with:
Multiplus ii 3000
Smartsolar 150/60
Cerbo GX
4 x 134ah vision AGM batteries (48volt system)

I'm trying to control the ESS with external control. I have a control loop instructing the setpoint on MQTT. And its working great when there is no sun :)

When charging is starting from the SmartSolar suddenly the Multiplus is providing more power then instructed by the control loop and is causing grid feed in.

The problem get worse when the battery is close to or fully charged. Then almost all power is inverted into the grid. When it hits the 2400W limit of the multiplus the solar charger stops charging for a second and the multiplus stop feeding in. Then the solarcharger goes back up and multiplus starts inverting more then instucted again. And so it continues until the sun goes down.

As i'm using "external control" the "feed in excess" options should be disabled?

Almost seams the SmartSolar charger is not able to throttle down the charge current to prevent overcharging the battery and then the multiplus steps in at takes current away by inverting it the the grid?

Maybe the charge voltage is not syncronised between the solarcharger and the multiplus? Can't seem to find the place to change settings for this?

This is the charts for today.

1662148131334.png

ESS
1662148131334.png (166.5 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wurmth80 avatar image
wurmth80 answered ·

Hi,
I'm facing exactly the same behaviour. When there is much solar power on the smart solar and the battery is full, the multiplus is feeding this power into the grid, no matter what I am writing into register address 37 power setpoint.

Did you manage to solve the problem?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

wurmth80 avatar image
wurmth80 answered ·

Hi,
found the reason for this issue.
The behaviour can be controlled via Modbus Registers 65 "DoNotFeedInOvervoltage" and 66 "Maximum overvoltage feed-in power L1"
When setting Register 65 to 1 it doenst feed in PV overproduction.

2 |3000