question

semiraue avatar image
semiraue asked

Difference between 150/45 and 150/45-TR

Hi All,

After suggestion from form members I need to purchase 150/45 scc. When checking I noticed there are few versions of it

• mppt scc 150/45
  • mppt scc 150/45 -tr
  • mppt scc 150/45 -mc4

I know that -tr is for screw terminals and mc4 for mc4 connection. but it seems there are other difference as well. like 150/45 not comes with display port and 150/45 -tr comes with display port and much higher price tag. Also it has some additional connectors.

What is the difference between these few modes ? are they exact same other than connector types ? or -tr and -mc4 models are newer than normal models ? Manufacturing dates ?

Also I need to mention one more thing that I got some information that mppt 150/35 got some weird issue that controller lock up after some time. and this is is only an issue with 150/35 scc. I'm worried about this and that's the only reason I'm not going with 150/35 even though it's enough for my setup. Also I will not have any warranty as I'm using these somewhere else which don't have any victron dealer at this moment

Appreciate your inputs

Thanks

MPPT SmartSolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@semiraue

Unless you need the specific feature like the display or the mC4s, otherwise they are the same in function and use. Same firmware.

The 150/35 did have a small issue a while ago that was fixed with a firmware update. I know I have seen videos of the thing you are talking about. (Then some were people who blew them up and self repaired). And unless you blow up components, you most likely wont have an issue. We have fitted hundreds of different models in the field and have not had a return or a faliure yet.

Always test bench before taking to remote sites. If it is set up properly and not messed with it will work without fuss.

Remember on the internet there is a bias on information since most people don't complain that it is working.

By the way every reseller has a distributor back up, so you should not have a problem with Warranty unless you used it in a non recommend way.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

semiraue avatar image semiraue commented ·
Thanks for the detailed answer. I will go with normal 150/45 then. you guys are awesome :)
0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

@semiraue

See the datasheet for SmartSolar MPPT 150/35 and 150/45.

and datasheet for SmartSolar MPTT 150/45 up to 150/7ß (Tr and MC4).

I don't know of any issues with the 150/35 and run them for a couple of years now.

3 comments
2 |3000

semiraue avatar image semiraue commented ·

Thanks Stefanie,

Means if I'm not using relay and small display, 150/45 and 150/45 -tr both do the same job for me ?

Sorry, I'm not that technical. I'm planning to use these with 4x pylontech us3000c batteries and cerbo GX devices. Does the normal 150/45 model ok for this ? any reason I need to choose 150/45 -tr?

I don't know of any issues with the 150/35 -> I saw some videos that people had strange lock-up issue or something and internal fuse blown. and one person try to cut open and fix it. I worried specially I'm planning to buy these online and use in country where no victron dealers. So if something goes wrong with controller I cannot get any replacement.

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ semiraue commented ·

Means if I'm not using relay and small display, 150/45 and 150/45 -tr both do the same job for me ?

Exactly. Tr has screw terminals (like most MPPTs) and MC4 has MC4 connectors. See also detailed answer from Alexandra below for more about alleged issues on MPPTs and Victron devices in general.

0 Likes 0 ·
semiraue avatar image semiraue Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
Thanks. I will go with normal 150/45 then. :)
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic