question

skippeer avatar image
skippeer asked

BMV-712 Backlight power consumption?

I activated constant backlight while I was aiming to achieve SOC 50-70% on my lithium system before change mode for storage. I forgot to set back default time for backlight and is now seeking info how much power the constant backlight consumes. Anyone knowing the figure? The boat is 2000 km from home.

bmv power consumption
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

skippeer avatar image skippeer commented ·

thanks @WKirby

Default intensity is 5 and max is 9.

Think I increased the setting to 6 (it was a month ago...).

Intensity 6 > 60 mW (mVA) > 5 mA @ 12 V

plus 1 mA gives in total 6 mA.

24 hrs/day x 31 days x 0.006 A = 4,5 Ah/month

Say 8 months with 500 Ah LFP system in storage mode, ballpark figure 8 x 5 = 40 Ah can the BMV-712 consume with back light constant on with intensity 6

SOC 65% (when I shutdown) of 500 Ah = 325 Ah

325 - 40 Ah = 285 Ah gives SOC 57%

I don’t need to travel to the boat to switch off the back light.

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Backlight power consumption depends upon the intensity that it is set to of course.

Backlight at setting 4 (around mid way) uses an additional 44mW and setting number 9 (maximum intensity) uses an additional 100mW.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dalane avatar image
dalane answered ·

I’m sorry I cannot answer the original question. In fact, I have a related one:

We always kept the backlight ON for our Smart BMV-712; however, we recently had a major electrical system casualty during which I did a factory reset on the BMV. Now the backlight is OFF, and I can’t seem to turn it back on.

Is there an on/off soft toggle somewhere in the setup menu? If so, I’ve overlooked it in the user manual, within the app, and when pushing buttons on the device.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2 comments
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Page 28 of the BMV manual.

Or you can use Victron Connect. Settings > Display > Backlight always on.

0 Likes 0 ·
skippeer avatar image skippeer commented ·

Now did I use the DEMO feature to find how to change setup because I didn’t remember

Settings >> Display

Now you will see all the options (constant on, intensity, etc.)

0 Likes 0 ·
skippeer avatar image
skippeer answered ·

thanks @WKirby

default intensity is 5 and max is 9.

Think I increased the setting to 6 (it was a month ago...).

Intensity 6 > 60 mW (mVA) > 5 mA @ 12 V

plus 1 mA gives in total 6 mA.

24 hrs/day x 31 days x 0.006 A = 4,5 Ah/month

Say 8 months with 500 Ah LFP system in storage mode, ballpark figure 8 x 5 = 40 Ah can the BMV-712 consume with back light constant on with intensity 6

SOC 65% (when I shutdown) of 500 Ah = 325 Ah

325 - 40 Ah = 285 Ah gives SOC 57%

I don’t need to travel to the boat to switch off back light

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic