question

djts avatar image
djts asked

Orion tr smart 12 12 30 deactivating engine detection

Hi - apologies is this has been asked before but I couldn’t find an answer that I could fathom.

Basically my smart alternator runs as low as 12v when the vehicle battery is full charged - so the engine detection system shuts the charger down so no feed to the leisure battery. The only work around has been to have the full vehicle lights on to load the alternator.

I would like to wire up the override option.

I get that I need a piggy back fuse on the ignition side to provide a switched live.

I am unsure how to wire this into the green remote on/off piggy on the Orion. It looks like I simply make an additional connection of my new switched live feed to L terminal on the green - leaving the existing link in place.

Can anyone confirm if this is correct.

Many thanks

David

orion-tr smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Remove the link.

But before you do this, have you tried adjusting the engine on detection settings in line with the pdf on setting this up. There's a link in the product page on the victron web site.

Shut down voltage default is too high for some cars. Also your 12V input is too low, check the wiring for poor connections, especially ground/earth and good cable size. A normal charged starter battery should be at 12.6V or higher off charge.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

djts avatar image
djts answered ·

Hi - thanks for the response - until the point the vehicle battery is fully charged the tr smart works perfectly. As soon as the vehicle battery is fully charged the smart alternator throttles back the current to < 12.5v which activates the non running detection (resting battery voltage @ 12.6v). Putting dipped beam on sorts this out so the tr smart works as the alternator is loaded. I will remove the link and attach a switched live of >7.5v to the L connection and hopefully all should be good.

David

2 |3000