question

trp-racing avatar image
trp-racing asked

Use of excess solar power when batteries are full

Hello,

This may be asked before but in this case there may be some specialities.

System:

Off grid

MPPT 150/35

Multiplus 24/3000

BMV-712

Venus GX

PV power 2,5kw

Leaf- lithium battery set, round 10kW, 32V with BMS which are not connected to Venus

System starts to use battery energy when charger goes to float mode. I setup float voltage 0,5V (SOC round 85%) below absorption voltage to prevent micro charging. I think there is no way to prevent this? Normally my batteries are full at the afternoon during summertime and I loose 5-8 hours of solar power.

I will add dump load for system later but I assume that situation will be the same: It just use current from batteries until it's hit float voltage.

Any ideas?

thanks

Pentti

MPPT SmartSolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

System starts to use battery energy when charger goes to float mode.

Surely there is a resting cell voltage for leaf cells? A (float?) voltage where a decent SOC can be maintained, without undue degradation?

Use the search function, and look for leaf..

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

trp-racing avatar image
trp-racing answered ·

Problem is more how to prevent micro charging. If I put float voltage to same as absorbion, I will get micro charging after the situation where solar power is less than usage/needed power. I am not sure how harm full micro charging is for the battery life.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic