question

jamie-robinson avatar image
jamie-robinson asked

Pylontech internal failure alarm

Hello All.

I have just installed 2 ESS systems on neighbouring houses using Multiplus 2 and pylontech us2000 batteries. Both properties have different load profiles and different sized battery banks and different sized PV arrays. All Dc charging via Victron MPPT's CAN connected to Cerbo GX.

I am getting various internal alarms at varying times of day at varying times of charge or discharge. Also at varying states of battery charge. The only unifying factor is a spike in battery cell voltage triggers each alarm. A manual reboot of the battery resets the alarm.VRM screenshot.pdf

This certainly does not happen when the battery is at rest which is what the accepted answer from Pylontech seems to suggest. Any ideas what could be causing these spikes? All comms cables fitted correctly and all are factory made units.

I have fitted many ESS systems so I am not new to configuring this system. All firmware is up to date. Cerbo GX set to auto update online.

Thanks

Jamie

Pylontech
vrm-screenshot.pdf (634.3 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

michael66 avatar image michael66 commented ·
How do you get the "BMS Max/min cell voltage" graph in the VRM? I only see an over with global battery voltage.

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ michael66 commented ·
You have to add it as a chart from the BMS in VRM advanced, provided the BMS is sending that detail, which it will only do on newer batteries/firmware.

So if you have older ones you will not see this data. An update may provide it, but you need to ask Pylon or their support agent to do that for you.

-1 Like -1 ·
4 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

The cell Voltage spike should be a red flag. If that is happening, then perhaps that battery module has a faulty cell. If this is the case, then that would be for Pylotech to resolve for you.
Communications don't seem to be a problem because the data is coming in.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jamie-in-chile avatar image
jamie-in-chile answered ·

Please read this thread that describes my experience and see if relevant to you: https://powerforum.co.za/topic/12071-pylontech-high-voltage-alarm/

I had lights and sound going off and it was one cell with high voltage. I did a software diagnostic, and sent it to Pylontech, and they said to replace the BMS board. I got the shop where I bought the battery to do this for me, under warranty. Since the BMS board replacement about 5 weeks ago the error hasn´t repeated so far.

2 |3000

jamie-robinson avatar image
jamie-robinson answered ·

Thanks Guys.

All very helpful. It seems like snagging these problems is a long an protracted business. My slight worry is that this same fault is occurring on 2 different installations at the same time. One installation triggers an alarm more frequently than the other but both have alarmed in the past. Seems unusual (or maybe unlucky) that there could be a faulty BMS in 2 separate battery installs.

Will keep going with it. It seems that nothing will happen without downloading each module's data log.

2 comments
2 |3000

wolfbarnsolar avatar image wolfbarnsolar commented ·

RE-I had lights and sound going off and it was one cell with high voltage

Hi i have US5000s & under firmware V2.87 DEVICE battery monitor you have a host of information on the BMS handling of the Batteries Details which shows cell info & Alarms History etc which i would hope may help with diagnosing an issue with battery cells etc.

screen-shot-2022-07-24-at-102940-am.pngscreen-shot-2022-07-24-at-102805-am.pngscreen-shot-2022-07-24-at-102749-am.png

Hope this may help

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
Just curious how many packs are attached to these installs, and do they follow the recommended number in the victron/pylon guide?
0 Likes 0 ·
Hugo Russouw avatar image
Hugo Russouw answered ·

Hi

I can get the battery details of a UP5000 Pylontech battery, but I can not read the details of a US2000C or US3000C battery? I US2000C and US3000C are multiple batteries and the UP5000 is single battery setups.

Is this correct? Is it a battery function on the types of Pylontech battery?

I updated the firmware on all GX devices and no luck.

Any idee?

Thanks Hugo

2 comments
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

It is provided by the pylon firmware, older versions do not supply BMS detailed data to the GX. You would need to get someone to update them for you, it is not supported for non-authorised people to update battery firmware, and as some people have learned, loading the wrong code can brick your BMS, so beware of some advice offered on public forums.

0 Likes 0 ·
Hugo Russouw avatar image Hugo Russouw nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·