question

codefoster avatar image
codefoster asked

Effective CCA of my Victron AGM batteries

I have a house bank of two 6V-225Ah Victron AGM batteries (BAT406225080) plus a starter battery for my boat. I just had a diesel mechanic tell me that I need to replace the starter battery. I'm able to turn my engine over, but when he load tested the starter battery it showed weak. I had the starter battery paralleled with my house bank though and my house bank is rated at 700CCA each (1400CCA total), so I'm wondering why that wouldn't have had an easy time starting the motor. I haven't tested my house bank for instantaneous load. I did load test them over 10 hours and was satisfied with the results. They're 6 years old and still powered a 7A load for many hours. My question is if it's normal for AGM batteries to lose the ability to drive an instantaneous load when they get old.

AGM Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
codefoster avatar image
codefoster answered ·

Thanks for the help on this. I replaced the starter battery and it didn't help (as suspected). After further troubleshooting, I discovered a bad glow plug solenoid, so I was trying to start the engine with cold cylinders. After fixing the solenoid, she fires right up.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sharpener avatar image sharpener commented ·

Presumably your winterising procedure will include replacing the diesel mechanic along with the starter battery!

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·
Assuming your house bank is wired in series for 12V, you only have 700CCA potential there.

AGM batteries do deteriorate with age and use, especially heavy use. Impossible to say with certainty how good the house bank is.

One reason for keeping house and starter batteries separate is to prevent house loads from depleting the starting system. Another is that direct connections to the alternator will shorten the house bank life due to overcharging.

Might be better to get ready to replace the starter battery.

2 |3000

Trevor Bird avatar image
Trevor Bird answered ·

@codefoster Hello. I am not sure what sort of boat you have or what size engine but I know from my experience other factors can come into play. A boat usually has a start and house battery isolator. In my case this isolator is notoriously bad for intermittent voltage drop. Mine stay dormant for years and occasionally need to be vigorously exercised or they tend to develop a high resistance joint internally. Connections from the start battery to the starter motor need to be checked. In my case the engine is a small Yanmar so should be easy enough to crank. In your case your starter battery may struggle but you have paralleled it with a comparitively massive house bank. Even if the house bank is a bit old, it should still really crank that boat motor quite easilly.

Yes the start battery may be reaching the end of life but the paralleling with the house bank should make a big difference to the cranking ability. If that is not the case, it may indicate that the connections through the isolation switch or other connections may be worth considering as a cause.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic