question

jetstram61 avatar image
jetstram61 asked

ESS VE Config query when using current sensor instead of grid meter.

Hi All,

Quick question on VE Config setting.

Set Up - Parallel grid tied AC ESS, Multiplus II, Venus OS (pi4), 30m external Current Sensor connected directly to the Multi, existing PV with grid tied 'dumb' inverter using victron AC current sensor, (NO power meters).

Question1 - In VE Configure General Tab - 'External current sensor connected' - should this be ticked ? -

Question2 - Now in the ESS settings on the VRM portal after loading the assistants what do we select under 'Control without grid meter' - On or Off ? We have no grid meter as we are using the current sensor, however its a parallel system so the house loads are not installed on the AC out as stated in the ESS manual ?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and any help you are able to offer.

Multiplus-IIESS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
jetstram61 avatar image
jetstram61 answered ·

have done some more digging and it would appear that we set the meter setting to 'inverter charger' and then as we have also ticked external current sensor the system should move from external meter to internal meter then external current sensor (meter).

However I would like this 'assumption' confirmed or substantiated by one of the experts that frequent the site if poss ?

Thanks so much.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jetstram61 avatar image
jetstram61 answered ·

Ok - It worked as described.

external meter box ticked in VE Config.

Setting for ESS - Grid Metering - 'Inverter / Charger.

This told the multi I wanted to use its own inbuilt meter (current sensor) which was then changed to external meter in use (current sensor) by the VE config setting.

The VRM display shows as if its passing the loads through the inverter, and measuring them with the internal sensor however the reality is its behaving like the parallel AC coupled system it actually is.

A word of caution however - the external current sensor has 2 triangles shown on the outside rim of the sensor, and despite no mention in the manuals these are the 'direction of current flow' markers and need to be in the correct sense ! - Otherwise the multi behaves very strangely.

2 |3000

lifeingalicia avatar image
lifeingalicia answered ·

Yes external needs to be ticked otherwise funny errors spear

Multi and vrm treats it like an external

Victor not recommending but it can be extended I use 3meter high end headphone extension no issues.

Yes I fell for the triangulares as well.

I have mine at all the entry point so the software can see and manage total demand or feed in

1 comment
2 |3000

jetstram61 avatar image jetstram61 commented ·
I have to admit to a 1.5m extension to my 30m current sensor and all seems fine !

0 Likes 0 ·
cramik avatar image
cramik answered ·

Hi,

I've just set up a similar system. I t works but the configuration looks strange.

I have a Multiplus connected to the grid and to pylontech batteries. My PV inverter (SMA) is connected to AC-in. I add a current sensor between the grid and SMA inverter. There is no load on AC-in.

External meter is selected in VE config. In ESS settings, "Grid metering" is set to "Inverter/Charger". To get a correct grid consumption and AC load estimations on the GX, I was forced to declare SMA connected on AC-out in settings even though it is really connected on AC-in. Any comment?

2 |3000