question

krouink avatar image
krouink asked

RCD placement in Multi-II ESS

Hi - on a 3x MPII 5000 ESS system, Victron requests a RCD Type A on AC-Out-1. We have realized that with a 4phase RCD 300mA. Does this RCD need to sit immediately at the AC out or can there be a distribution block in-between?

Background: we have a thick cable running back from the installation in the garage to the house, so the AC Out RCD is in line with the then following house connection. However, between AC Out and RCD in the garage, we have a block connecting AC out with solar inverter AC, wallbox (with separate 30mA RCD), some plugs (with separate 30mA RCD).

Any trouble/disadvantage with such an arrangement?

ESSfuses
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 answered ·

I think it depends how you've connected the ACOUT to the garage board with the PV and plugs. Maybe me miss understanding, sorry if that's the case.

If ACOUT -> MCB/RCBO that is RCD protected and then there's another MCB protected by RCD or RCBO that connects to PV then I would expect that RCD will cover the wire back to the ACOUT.

However if you've wired in the ACOUT to the main switch of the garage board then it wont be RCD protected.

ie is victorn ac out connected before or after RCD in garage board. If after then it's fine, if before then that wire isn't RCD protected.

Same question on the house side I suppose becuase you'll like have two RCDs protecting that wire if wired the same at the house. Which may cause selectivity issues.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Meno Himmelreich avatar image
Meno Himmelreich answered ·

Does that actually work? You connected the single mains of each MP to the RCD (4-pol)?

2 |3000

Related Resources

What is ESS training video

ESS Quick Installation Guide

ESS design and installation manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic