question

newspark avatar image
newspark asked

Is this battery safe to use ?

signal-2022-06-07-185220-002.jpegI have 4 AGM 12-125ah batteries & one of them appears to have been dropped in transit at somepoint on one of it,s edges, which has lead to 2 small cracks in the base & very minor 'lump' on the side of the edge. There has been no leaking or forming or crystals at all anywhere around the damage. Battery still reads 12.8 (completely unused)

My question is, can I still use this battery? If so, will it need to be repaired of maintained in any way?

First two pictures are of the cracks (on the bottom), 3rd picture is side view of the edge which is appears to have fallen on

signal-2022-06-07-185220-001.jpeg

AGM Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

@NewSpark

This is not something to be trifled with. There could be a small invisible crack that causes gases to escape when battery gets warm during charge. In the worst case electrolyte, even if that is bound in the glass mat, can escape.

I would never put them into operation.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic