question

brando avatar image
brando asked

MultiPlus 3000va......"AC-OUT2" for air-conditioners on differnt bus?

I have the MultiPlus 3000va 12/3000/120.

I'm confused as to where the "AC-OUT2" wires go into the distribution box. I have a 30amp service to my motorhome breaker box. Ill be using the left hand bus only because the box is capable of 50a service.

Do the "AC-OUT2" wires coming from the MultiPlus need to have there own separate bus or sub panel? I'm using the left side of my distribution box bus for the "AC-OUT1" connections, should I use the unused right hand side bus to wire a breaker for my two air conditioner units?

"The "AC-OUT2" can support loads of up to 25A"

Would this mean that I should install a 30 amp breaker on the right hand unused bus coming from the MultiPlus and then two 15 amp breakers going to my air conditioners?

The instruction manual also states that "An earth leakage circuit breaker and fuse rated at max. 32A must be connected in series with AC-out-2."

I dont see anyone using these earth leakage circuit breakers in their RV distribution boxes. I dont see any 32 amp Square D type breakers for sale either that would fit into my box.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

ac-out-question.jpg

ac-out-2
ac-out-question.jpg (232.5 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
mike-g avatar image
mike-g answered ·

AC-Out-2 supports loads that you only want to run when on shore power or generator. So if you have a split panel, and you have loads as described, then connect AC-Out 2 to that side of the panel. With appropriate overcurrent protection, of course. However, since you have a 30A panel, which is typically on a single bus, then you'll have to move those loads from the panel on to their own bus.

An earth leakage circuit breaker is another term for a residual current device, such as an RCD or ELCI breaker. I do not know of any standard that requires them on the inverter output. An ELCI is typically used between shore power and the vehicle/vessel electrical system. Installing a GFCI to protect the outlets powered by the inverter is best practice.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

brando avatar image brando commented ·
Thank you mike-g for the answer!

So putting the AC-Out-2 on the unused portion of my panel would be fine then? That way AC2 would be independent from AC1. The buses are indeed separate.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic