question

overland avatar image
overland asked

Solar Charge Contoller limit?

What would happen if I have more solar panels attached to at MPPT 150/85 than it is rated for? I currenlty have four 300 Watt panels (1200 total) in wired parallel. I often have partial shade and the Solar Charge controll has never reached the 1200 W limit so I am wondering if I were to add a coulple more panels to the system it would help during the mornings and evenings but it might be over 1200 Watts at peak times. Is that OK or can it damage the Charge Controller? A few people surggested that I just add an additional charge controller to my system but I don't have the room for it. Please advise as I would like to add 2 more panels so that I have more power during cloudy days etc.. Thanks much

solar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

That is a very good idea, adding two extra panels would help you during low light conditions.
In full sun, the controller will limit its self to 85A. Over provisioned PV will not damage the controller, it will only take as much energy as it can from the array.

You must never exceed the 150V limit, but if you are adding these extra panels in parallel with your existing ones, then you don't need to worry.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

overland avatar image
overland answered ·

right on! now if I could only find another two 300W 24V panels. They are sold out everywhere

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic