question

jeanphi500 avatar image
jeanphi500 asked

Getting started with MQTT, some beginner questions

Hi all
I've just finished the installation of an ESS system to improve my autoconsumption here in Belgium.
I would like to add the information of the battery transfers and state to my home made PV monitoring system.

My current idea is to use MQTT to (locally, port 18883) read values at a relatively slow rate (once per 5 min). I'm mostly interested in battery state and the energy to and from batteries. Then write that to a file and FTP it to a website.

To be honest I'm new to MQTT (but I should be able to manage :) ) , is there a beginner's guide somewhere?

Today I tried MQTT explorer to browse through the available values. I could find what I was needing.
But one thing that I already see is that using the explorer the MQTT is refreshed only when I use the VRM. I guess that has something to do with the keep alive or so?
How will that be when I have the client running on my Pi connecting?

Thanks!

MQTT
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Manda avatar image
Manda answered ·

hi, I started a few years ago too, and my self-made monitoring now works as I expected. I have a MQTT broker and Node Red on a raspberry pi. Just for fun, I used some node to show satistics, draw some charts on Node Red dashboard, record data in a database (sql) and to draw some charts on local web page. I think you need the "keep alive" function to continue receiving data. For testing, I used Mqtt.fx and needed a script [found on the web, I think]

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources