question

natparktravelers avatar image
natparktravelers asked

Are the BMV-702 and BMV-712 Shunts interchangeable?

I have a BMV-702 in our 5th wheel right now and recently purchased a BMV-712. I want to put the 712 in our 5th wheel and the 702 in our travel trailer.

Do I need to replace the 702 shunt with the 712 shunt in the 5th wheel or are they interchangeable and I can just replace the meter? I'm not sure if the circuitry is the same on both shunts.

bmv
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

UPDATED POST

The shunt itself is the same, 500A 50mV.

The attached circuit board can also be used interchangeably.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ben avatar image
ben answered ·

And for posterity, even though this wasn't the question that was asked: if you want to, you can hook two circuit boards (including a BMV-702 and -712 circuit board) to the exact same shunt, and they will both work fine in parallel.

2 |3000

natparktravelers avatar image
natparktravelers answered ·

@Guy Stewart (Victron Energy Staff) thank you for the quick answer. The circuit board is what I was wondering about, so thank you for the information - very helpful!

2 |3000

nbezanson avatar image
nbezanson answered ·

Since this thread is likely to be found by others searching for the info, I'll add:

There are also larger shunts available from Victron: 1000A, 2000A, and 6000A, which have the same hole spacing and can mount the same circuit board. (Product page here.)

Any other shunt you have, if you can adapt the board to fit it, can also be made to work. The BMV is configurable for any shunt ratio up to 9999A, and either 50mV or 75mV full scale reading. It's settings 65 and 66, or just use the app if you have a Smart unit.

I needed roughly 700A so I went with the 1000A shunt, and swapping the board only took a moment, and setting the ratio in the app was super easy.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic