question

wbuchan avatar image
wbuchan asked

Should I remove redundant SVR?

I’ve installed a mppt 75/15 with a 175W panel to charge my house battery. It’s working very well.

As I’ve learnt more about the van and electronics I understand that who ever converted the van should have used a dc-dc charger. It’s a bluemotion van with a smart alternator. They used an SVR. I bought the van from the person who’d first had it converted.

The SVR is currently not operating as I’ve removed one of the fuses between it and the starter battery. The SVR chatters if the fuse is put back in. The starter battery continues to be charged by the alternator as it should be whether the fuse is in or out.

I don’t think I need the alternator to charge the house battery. The solar is doing this perfectly well even on grey days.

Should I remove the SVR unit? Is it worth replacing it with an Orion dc-dc so that I can charge the house battery whilst driving?

Thanks

orion-tr smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Not sure what you mean by SVR. I assume it's an automatic connection to charge house battery from the alternator. If it's not doing anything, yes remove.

Orion is up to you as well. If you need one, and it seems you don't, then install one.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.