question

johnsmith avatar image
johnsmith asked

Can I balance 4 strings of series 4x12(48V) SLA batteries with 3 Victron Balancers?

Can I balance 4 strings of series 4x12(48V) SLA batteries with 3 Victron Balancers?

Battery Balancer
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
johnsmith avatar image
johnsmith answered ·

Answered my own questions for those of you still using SLA Batteries.

Pablo Spreafichi Johannes Boonstra4 years ago

Thanks, so Can I connected 8 strings of 4x216Ah? Can you give me a conection diagram please? The deep of cycle of the battery will be 20%.

1648149933861.png

Johannes Boonstra Pablo Spreafichi4 years ago

Hello,
Yes.
For diagram, please contact the dealer, they will help on that further.

1648149933861.png (12.0 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

netrange avatar image
netrange answered ·

2 Strings ... maybe possible ... but 4 Strings are to much Ah to be balanced

... see the Datasheet from Victron Balancer ...

2 |3000

johnsmith avatar image
johnsmith answered ·

I'm currently with 3 strings of 4 x12V with 3 balancers as per their manual.

2 |3000

jjbond avatar image
jjbond answered ·

@Johnsmith

I have 16 Battle Born 100ah lithiums setup as 4S4P for 48V and have three of the balancers working great.

Jen

1 comment
2 |3000

johnsmith avatar image johnsmith commented ·
What is your fusing arrangement?

Do you have fuse on the positive end of each series string?

or have you fused in between each parallel on every battery?

0 Likes 0 ·
johnsmith avatar image
johnsmith answered ·

I like this forum, I get stuck, don't get an answer, then end up figuring it out. It's like talking to yourself. Which I am doing again now.

16 Lipo batteries is a big investment, I thought I was being ridiculous with 16 SLAs! I feel better now.

1 comment
2 |3000

netrange avatar image netrange commented ·

from the Datasheet :

Connect two or more battery balancers in parallel (on average one balancer will take care of up to three parallel 200 Ah strings).

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-Battery-Balancer-EN.pdf

a huge problem is the different chemistry of 16 batteries. The balancers have a lot to do ... and if you can only rarely reach the absorption voltage ... your batteries have a really hard time to be operated in balancing mode

0 Likes 0 ·
johnsmith avatar image
johnsmith answered ·

Ok,

So if I split my 4 series/parallel bank into 2 series/parallel strings and use 3 balancers for string 1-2 and 3 balancers for string 3-4 would that be better?

1 comment
2 |3000

netrange avatar image netrange commented ·

Absolutely :)

but first you should measure all 16 batteries individually !!!!

If there are deviations that are more than 2 volts (one cell) ... out with it

these Batterein you could try to charge individually ... and then possibly reintegrate

otherwise they mess up the whole system and your batteries overheat with time, boil out and are then finally broken

First build a 2P/4S ... also because of the costs

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic