question

mpasek avatar image
mpasek asked

Isolated or non-isolated Orion charger question for my 5th wheel

Looking for some help to unravel my confusion. I am looking to add an Orion-TR Smart 24/12-30 charger to my Grand Design 5th wheeler (tow unit is an F-350).

Can I use the non-isolated version and run just a single cable from my truck's positive back to the Orion charger in the 5th wheel? Or do I need the isolated version and run both + and - from the truck?

Thanks.

orion-tr smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @mpasek

it depends. If the battery of your truck and the battery of your 5th wheel share a common ground (minus), then the non-isolated version will do. In case they don't have a common ground, then you'll need the isolated Orion-Tr smart.

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mpasek avatar image mpasek commented ·
Hi Stephanie,

So a shared ground as in the ground pin on the 7 way connector?

Thanks.

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ mpasek commented ·

Ouch, I wish I could help you with that. But I don't know exactly how the 7-pin connector is wired. Here where I live we use a 13-pin connector.

However, if you have a DMM you can measure for continuity from that ground pin to the negative terminal of each battery.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ mpasek commented ·
Yes, the 7 pin ground is OK. But.. watch cable sizes and current. You may find the voltage drop is too high and need something beefier.
0 Likes 0 ·
aiellost avatar image aiellost mpasek commented ·
MP, did you ever get a suitable answer? or, Which unit did you purchase and how is it working?
0 Likes 0 ·
hjohnson avatar image
hjohnson answered ·

If I was you, I would go with the isolated version, and run both Positive and Negative to your haul truck. If you go with the non-isolated version, you're depending on the rinky-dink connector that does your lighting to bond the 5th wheel chassis to your truck (or worse yet, the hitch). The isolated, on the other hand, has a dedicated path for that negative, which solves a lot of issues.

Furthermore, if you setup the cable properly (well, make it long enough), you could charge your 5th wheel with your vehicle parked beside the 5th wheel, rather than having to hook it up all the way.

1 comment
2 |3000

aiellost avatar image aiellost commented ·
HJ, I'm looking for an answer to the same question. we know the #16 used to bond the trailer to the truck DC system is inadequate for 30a charging. But will that cause an unwanted ground LOOP, (ie) parallel grounds #6 and #16. I would think Victron would bench test and advise.

0 Likes 0 ·