question

menagoesenog avatar image
menagoesenog asked

How to wire digital inputs - GlobalLink 520

Hello, I can't find the information for the digital inputs that can be configured as alarm. What kind of relay to use. Thank you. Denis

globallink
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

You don't give us the information necessary to help you.

Suggest you install the Vicwtron connect app, go into the demo library and select the equipment you're considering. You can configure there and see what alarms are available.

Alternatively download the pdf manual for the equipment and it's explained there.

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

menagoesenog avatar image menagoesenog commented ·

Thanks for your answer.

I have the manual but it does not explain how to connect the digital inputs. What kind of relays and how to connect them.

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/GlobalLink_520/en/digital-inputs.html

0 Likes 0 ·
menagoesenog avatar image menagoesenog menagoesenog commented ·
It is on a Global link 520.
0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ menagoesenog commented ·
What type of device do you want to connect? Smoke alarm? Bilge pump?
0 Likes 0 ·
menagoesenog avatar image menagoesenog klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

high water level alarm (12v) thank you.

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

The GlobalLink digital inputs accept any "dry" contacts or "potential free" contacts. Basically, don't put anything with any Voltage on it up the input
This basically means any sort of regular switch or the contacts of pretty much any relay will work.
If your water level sensor is just a switch contact then you could wire this directly into the GlobalLink digital inputs.
You can also use an open collector from the transistor side of an opto coupler for example, but this is less common arrangement.
Check section 8 of the manual:

1647790565204.png

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/GlobalLink_520/GlobalLink_520-en.pdf

1647790565204.png (55.3 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

menagoesenog avatar image menagoesenog commented ·

Thank you for the response .

I have read the document you submitted several times. I have a good knowledge of electricity and I know the basic relays. What I don't understand is the notion of "dry" or "potential free" contacts.

If there is current in my alarm contact, I can't use it?

What kind of signal should I send to the device?

Thank you

Denis

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ menagoesenog commented ·
I previously explained the meaning of dry contacts. It means just a somple switch contact without any Voltages on it.

Wire the switch contacts (two wires) into the digital input. Don't put any signal up it, just simple switch contacts.

0 Likes 0 ·
menagoesenog answered ·

Ok I just figured it out. A relay that I could close via my alarm contact signal (12v on the coil) and that would close the circuit between the two terminals of my digital input. Finally I must put a continuity without current between the two terminals of the digital input.

The other one "relay switch" . No current in this one too? How it works? It is a relay who was drive by the Globalink.

Thank you very much Mr Wkirby.

Denis

1 comment
2 |3000

wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ commented ·
Yes, the Relay connection on the GlobalLink is also dry contacts, no current. It is a relay inside which is driven by the GlobalLink.
0 Likes 0 ·
menagoesenog answered ·

Thank you very very much.

Have a good day

Denis

2 |3000

Related Resources

Globalink Product page

Globalink Online Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic